Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Flopped bottom set & facing a raise on the flop..

Villain is 40/6 after 70 hands. He has shown down with AK, AT, KJ, QJ, suited connectors, etc.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($115.38)
MP1 ($14)
MP2 ($24.4)
CO ($12)
<font color="#C00000">Villain ($52.65)</font>
SB ($35.9)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($46.8)</font>
UTG ($4.3)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.75, UTG+1 calls $0.75, MP1 calls $0.75, CO calls $0.75.

Flop: ($5.10) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $15</font>.

Hero?
Old 07-02-2005, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Flopped bottom set & facing a raise on the flop..

This is a tough one, there's $26 in the pot and it costs you $9 to call... hmmm... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Ok seriously, the conservative route is to call, but I'd vote for a push here considering some of the villians stats. You're probably up against AK or AQ, and a remote posibility is a semi-bluff straight draw. Personally I'd push because you're likely to be called with a weaker hand since villian has already commited 1/4 of his stack.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a tough one, there's $26 in the pot and it costs you $9 to call... hmmm... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Ok seriously, the conservative route is to call, but I'd vote for a push here considering some of the villians stats. You're probably up against AK or AQ, and a remote posibility is a semi-bluff straight draw. Personally I'd push because you're likely to be called with a weaker hand since villian has already commited 2/7ths of his stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-02-2005, 03:44 AM

In this situation I want to take his stack. So I have to bet enough to commit him to this pot, but not so much it will scare him off.
Here, I'd probably minraise him. This puts more than half his stack in the middle, so it probably commits him to showing it down. IMO, it also has the highest possibility of being called, simply because it's the smallest amount you can raise him, and because I have the idea that many players are insulted by a minraise. They'll call just because it seems ridiculous to lay down to a stupid minraise after he just raised himself. I don't know it that's what it is, but I don't see many laydowns to a minraise.

Anyway, with a 65$ pot on the turn, you shouldn't have too much trouble taking his remaining 21$. 10 on the turn and the rest on the river or something like that.

Comments are welcome.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:24 AM

I like the mini-raise, probably better than push when I think about it more. I guess it slightly depends on the opponent as well. I think I like push second and call third.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:30 AM

ok we want to get him to get all his money in. pushing the flop gives him a chance to get away from a pair type hand.

just call the flop raise. the pot will be about 35 bucks on the turn and he will have 30 left in hi stack. check to him, making him think the pot is his, when he bets (and he will bet) 10-30, put him all in there and hes not folding.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:38 AM

Of course we know that the hand doesn't have a happy ending.

I considered the min re-raise, but decided to push.
He instantly called with TT. Of course, the turn came T and his quad fours stacked my 9s full.

Looking back, there is no doubt I was going to go broke on this hand. I just wanted to make sure that getting all of my money in the pot was the right thing to do.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($115.38)
MP1 ($14)
MP2 ($24.4)
CO ($12)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($52.65)</font>
SB ($35.9)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($46.8)</font>
UTG ($4.3)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.75, UTG+1 calls $0.75, MP1 calls $0.75, CO calls $0.75.

Flop: ($5.10) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero is all-in $39.80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button calls $30.80.</font>

Turn: ($93.70) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($93.70) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $93.70

Results:

Hero has 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (full house, nines full of tens).
Button has T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (four of a kind, tens).
Button wins $93.70. </font>
Old 07-02-2005, 09:39 AM

You didn't play it wrongly. Unlucky, and move on.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking back, there is no doubt I was going to go broke on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is results oriented thinking

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to make sure that getting all of my money in the pot was the right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right to want to get all your money in here, but the better question is did you do it in such a way that you will be ahead as often or more often than you'll be behind. This is pretty read dependant...would he call your push here with AK? AT?

against a solid player, i'd say no...so i think a better line would be to call his raise and check-raise the turn. it's unlikely that he's on a draw, so checking the turn gives him a chance to pot commit himself with AK or other holdings that you're ahead of.

again, you do want to get your money in, but if you want to increase your chances of winning a big pot, then you have to keep villain in the hand. 3-betting here against most players will blow them off of a top pair type hand.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:44 PM

dont play back the very min on the flop. it makes your hand too obvious

either call the flop, check the turn and push to his turn bet regardless of what falls

or just push the flop, especially if you think he'd play back on the flop with an open straight draw