Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Who the best and worst tippers?? (For Dealers, but anyone is welco

[ QUOTE ]
I looked at the other "to tip or not to tip" threads in the B&M forum, and they were all exactly like that - one person would put up an argument against the practice (sometimes well thought-out, sometimes braindead [like the people who don't want to tip but want their prices to stay the same too]), and the overwhelming responses were "douchebag", followed by "cheapskate" and "stiff" (in that order [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). I don't care which side of the fence you fall on, but you can't even discuss the issue in that kind of environment, which is the thing that got to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the respondants who explained in plain English why one should tip? Or did you get too bored and tired on your trek to actually read the threads you allegedly found?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about the respondants who explained in plain English why one should tip? Or did you get too bored and tired on your trek to actually read the threads you allegedly found?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go - just for you, the Greatest Hits from this thread

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, if you don't tip, you are a loser, in more ways than one!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm one of those who will brand you cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cause it is expected.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Shut up & tip, thats my attitude. Why bother thinking about it, it will only give you a headache. Happy dealers = better "workplace". Its the cost of doing business, a per-pot addition to the vig. Fair enough eh?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The real difference is that those who do tip are players and those who do not tip are royal douchebags. Other than that, there's no reason to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stupid freaking stiffs man. You're spreading like a virus.
You funny little $2/4 ESPN & WPT wannabes. You guys kill me.

Heres the profile:
Male
White
Trendy
Loud
Drunk
Cheap

Always asking for the cocktail waitress and wearing sunglasses. And now coming to 2+2 to bitch about tokes.

Heres a tip. Go play [censored] video poker. Dont have to tip a soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a particularly choice one, I must say. Followed immediately by this non-sequitur

[ QUOTE ]

If your hourly rate is being decimated by tips, I suggest you learn how to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So, what you're saying is that rather than being the young, wet behind the ears no-nothing kid he accused you of being, you're a doucebag entirely without excuse?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just friggin' tip already and don't add up how much is costs you. Consider it a necessary part of the game. Tipping is completely separate from the rake anyway, so don't lump them in the same category.

The bottom line is don't be a friggin' stiff, that's "bad."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't willing to do that,stay home until you grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

All you're going to do is deprive a dealer of some income and come off as an excuse-free douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your profile of the non-tipping internet punks is spot on accurate.

Every single day I have to say it over and over...

IT'S 2-4, NOT THE WORLD POKER TOUR!

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So if you have to defend yourself after posting a "I think I'll try to rationalize being a stiff" thread, then too friggin' bad for you hoss. Somebody call a whaaaaaaambulance!

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The fact that you make such a big friggen deal about probably less than 1% of your earning just proves my point that you are one of those beligerant tightwads who have had the life sucked out them by the game....

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit, this one is my favorite - I figure, if you're going to go ad hominem, at least go there in style:

[ QUOTE ]

I hope you almost die in a fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, a couple things here to point out stiff.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you

* don't care about treating people as you would like to be treated
* have no conscience
* don't mind being thought of as an a-hole

then don't tip if you don't want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

The following quote was particularly deliciously ironic seeing as how a sentence or two before it, the person claimed to be an "academic kind of person" who dutifully weighed all evidence before taking a stance:

[ QUOTE ]
Just give it up, don't be a friggin' stiff, and TIP ALREADY.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
After all, no one knows more about the plight of people working for $2/hour plus tips than someone who buys and sells restaurants like they were tennis shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It's a good thing you're only claiming to be a poker genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Having read every post and absorbed the available information, I have come to the conclusion that you're the [censored], here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Moral of the story: YOU ARE A CLOWN

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you hate dealers, tipping, 35 hands per hour, do us all a favor and go back to the internet. Simple as that. Enough of the whining and complaining, just do it. We wont miss you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If you are trying to make money playing poker move up to a limit where the rake and tokes are not such a high percentage of the pot or stop bitching...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So toke good service, and don't if bad, if you're a total stiffinator.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i cannot believe this is a topic of discussion. if you do not like tipping, stick to online play. this reminds me of the beginning speech by Steve Buschemi in Reservoir Dogs. Just tip 'em!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

Positively brimming with rational argument and scholarly debate!

*edit: by my calculations, the posts from which I quoted here comprised 61% of the 'pro-tipping' (or anti-'no-tipping', I guess) opinions. And that's just the stuff that was obviously asinine! I'm of course not saying that there were no rational arguments (there were a few, on both sides) - what I am saying is that the signal-to-noise ratio in a thread like that is within epsilon of zero.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts??

[/ QUOTE ]

You should become a hot looking female if you want really good tips.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:18 PM

Very good post Jordan.

Don't expect a good debate with dealers who just want you to tip regardless of how well they're doing its job.

David
Old 05-30-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK.

I don't want to start a flamewar or anything here (honest!), but I have to ask.

Tipping a waitress is often argued as correct "to insure promptness" or "to insure prompt service" or whatever.

But a dealer??

What's he going to do - give you better cards if you tip him? Or is it going to be like some kind of socially-acceptable extortion where he is more likely to "accidentally" scoop your hand into the muck if you're a bad/non-tipper (sort of like how some people say you should tip waiters/waitresses "or else they'll piss in your food" or something along those lines).

The only reasons I can see why people tip dealers are therefore a) not to look cheap in front of the other players (social pressure); and/or b) empathy or pity (arising out of a concern because they realize that dealers rely heavily on tips, in which case that makes for a very interesting contrast - the cold-hearted poker player who'd bust his own grandmother if she got into a pot with him, yet feels compelled to toss a piece of each pot he wins to someone who agreed to work for X an hour on his own volition with the understanding that tips may or may not come).

Any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]
tip the dealer for the same reason you tip the waitress
Old 05-30-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tip the dealer for the same reason you tip the waitress

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you tip because SHE's hot and you have a guy dealing to you, that could be construed as something... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Who the best and worst tippers?? (For Dealers, but anyone is welcome

I prefer a table full of asians. Tip city.

The young white males, all wpt trained (thanks to the wpt never showing tipping) and internet trained should all be banned from cardrooms till they learn how to tip.

Women are fine with me.

Older men do tip some but they usually bitch more than the tips they give are worth.

al
Old 05-30-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here you go - just for you, the Greatest Hits from this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hurt yourself hand-picking the douchebag posts while ignoring the ones with actual points?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should all be banned from the cardrooms till they learn how to tip

[/ QUOTE ]

This easily the stupidest thing I've read today. Getting tipped is not a fuckign birthright. You do not automatically deserve to get part of my pot.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK.

I don't want to start a flamewar or anything here (honest!), but I have to ask.

Tipping a waitress is often argued as correct "to insure promptness" or "to insure prompt service" or whatever.

But a dealer??

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want "to insure prompt service" I suggest tipping the dealers. They don't have to deliver a fast game if they don't want to.

outs