Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Why do they hate us?

[ QUOTE ]
Its not like we are germany and have a holocaust in our history.

[/ QUOTE ]

????????????????????????????????????????? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Mack
Old 07-11-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it is bad luck for US that the president is Texans as Texans are stereotyped as stupid in Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a moronic comment. The average Euro probably has no clue about the differences between your average Texan and other Americans. That's like an American saying "Man, those Englishmen from Manchester are real idiots".
Old 07-11-2005, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The U.S. government has done so much to help other countries but intolerance and that "God-complex" attitude is what foreigners hate!

[/ QUOTE ]

Moreover they hate politicians making up facts to fit the circumstances instead of coming clean about real motives, they all do it. Right now, we're 'freeing the Iraqi people', but we might knock a few dollars off a barrel of oil in the process, incidental like.

Regards Mack
Old 07-11-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it is bad luck for US that the president is Texans as Texans are stereotyped as stupid in Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a moronic comment. The average Euro probably has no clue about the differences between your average Texan and other Americans. That's like an American saying "Man, those Englishmen from Manchester are real idiots".

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, it was not meant that way, I was speaking of stereotyping, not reality.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have made similiar statements in this forum and some of the English posters have confirm this sentiment. I think the average European think themselves more sophisticated/smarter than we Americans. Which is OK with me. This belief is harmless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this belief stems mainly from the crap you all come out with, whenever a microphone is put infront of you. I blame the media, they even manage to make your top guys in government come across as bumbling idiots, and that can't be true, can it?

Regards Mack
Old 07-12-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those that hate us do so out of envy. They want what we have, and they want us to do what they want us to do.

Envy of what we have, and greed for what we have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although i dont hate americans, i hate a large percentage of their beliefs and political views...i have what you have, and im definitley not in envy of anything that you have.
cheers.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes the US has screwed up over the course of their existence, but its not like they are alone. Its not like we are germany and have a holocaust in our history.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of what you previously said and while I would not consider it a "holocaust", what our government did to the Native Americans was downright awful and sickening.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of what you previously said and while I would not consider it a "holocaust", what our government did to the Native Americans was downright awful and sickening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good example of history being told by the victor in that this doesn't seem to stand in the way of the glorious view taken towards america's past- while europeans are still made to feel guilty over the slave trade even though it was banned over here well before it was in america.

On a side note, one of the major causes of the US war of independence was that Britain gave a lot of the west of the continent to the native americans. The colonists wanted that land. Same thing with the french canadians who britain guaranteed land, although the US never managed to get that.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Correct. Although almost every country in Europe is just as guilty. Spain and Portugal did the same thing in South America. Let's not forget that it was British & French colonists who initially began taking land in North America away from the Native Americans. Americans just continued that awful tradition.

European countries during their colonial days seriously messed with Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. So don't just blame the US of never "getting that".

All of Europe and the US should be held historically accountable for the damage that they did during the colonial period.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:52 PM

Yeah, the point i was making is that there seems to be a lot of glossing over of Americas past to suit the patriotic vision of america.

Europe has f-cked up a lot of countries in the past in a pretty selfish way which is maybe why we are less keen to do it now (Tony Blair excepted).