Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Very Good Article on \"Animal Rights\"

I'm no PETA supporter and George Will is often too patrician for me, but this is the most clear-headed thing I've ever read on the subject.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8525632/site/newsweek/

Interestingly enough, Newsweek had an article on independent farmers who were raising nearly extinct species of hogs, turkeys, etc, a couple of weeks ago.

Newsweek has the worst search engine of any site on the web so I can't find that one, but I think this article covers everything.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4362064/
Old 07-12-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Very Good Article on \"Animal Rights\"

People Eating Tasty Animals.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Glad to see a fellow supporter!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:51 AM

Yeah I took a class last year called Global Ethics and one of the sections was on animal rights. The professor had some people from PETA come in and they showed us a nice little video of some of the most disturbing stuff I have ever seen. Pigs in cages so small they can't move, beef cows crammed into a pen that's got a foot of manure on the ground, baby chicks having their beaks cut off, pigs being beaten to death with a wrench.

I'm all for eating our tasty 4 legged friends (and 2 legged, can't forget those chickens), but I really don't think we need to treat them like we do while getting them ready to be butchered.

Plus when you factory farm, the food you feed the animals has to be laced with tons of medication so that all the diseases that the animals have don't get passed around. This medication isn't good for humans yet every time we eat a nice juicy steak or some tasty chicken wings, you're getting them.

Then if you take into consideration the environmental damage of factory farming...I just think there has to be a better way.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:27 PM

I think it is disgusting that people can treat animals in such a way. I have always thought this needs to be changed, but being slightly more humane is too "costly" for these animal abusers... It really is appalling.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:16 PM

I've got it.....
Let's all starve!
Old 07-12-2005, 05:56 PM

If your going to be obnoxious at least try not to be so obviously stupid.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:18 PM

You know,
I really enjoy veal. Especially the kind where the cow is enclosed standing in a small pen for it's entire life while being fed milk. It makes the tissue nice and tender.
Bon Appetit.
X
Old 07-12-2005, 06:27 PM

good post, I like this politician.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:30 PM

Once again....Denis Leary says it best...

[ QUOTE ]
I have a dog. I love my dog. You guys have pets. You love your pets and they love you. You know why? Because you have the food. It's as simple as that.
We love to talk to our pets. "Come here, doggy. Come here. Sit. Give me the paw. Okay, roll over. Oh, look at him. He's so cute; he's almost human." There's the problem, right? We have these little cute pangs in our bellies because we're human beings. That's how we decide which animals to save. It's all a matter of how cute they are. (Gazing longingly into distance) "Oh, look at the baby seals with the big brown eyes and the furry little fur. Don't do anything to them. Leave them alone." (Gazing off to the side with a healthy thirst) "But the cows are big and dumb and stupid. [censored] them. Let's eat them all. C'mon. Let's make jackets out of what's left over. C'mon." We might as well just have animal auditions and line them up one by one and judge them individually.
"What are you?"
"I'm an otter."
"And what do you do?"
"I swim around on my back and do cute little human things with my hands."
"You're free to go." (Gives the otter the thumbs-up sign, turns back)
"And what are you?"
"I'm a cow."
"Get in the [censored]' truck, okay, pal?"
"But I'm an animal."
"You're a baseball glove."
"I'm an animal."
"You're a hat. Get on that truck. You cow. What do you think we called you a 'cow' for?"
We kill the cow to make jackets out of them, then we kill each other for the jackets that we made out of the cows. I think the cows would love that joke, don't you? (As cow) "They're killin' each other for their jackets? Mooo."
I don't think it proves superior intelligence on our part that we can fashion a bat out of a piece of wood and bomp a baby seal over the head with it. Seals are very intelligent animals. They've probably thought of defending themselves. Only one problem: no hands. They're sitting on the beach, getting womped on the head, going: THONK "Man, this sucks." THONK "Wish we had some hands." THONK "Or at least a couple of helmets." THONK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-12-2005, 10:41 PM

Not a big veal fan, but I do like lamb kidneys & calves liver.

Bet they'd all taste better AND be better for us if they were "grown" under different conditions.