Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Man on death row denied attempt to donate organ to ailing sister

[ QUOTE ]
This is the right decision. The niece's comments are way off point, however. The problem is the precedent that will be set. Everybody on death row would be trying to donate every organ they have to delay executions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get this impression too, especially after reading

[ QUOTE ]
Johnson's attorneys argue that he should be granted clemency on several grounds. Among other things, they said his case was not fully reviewed by the federal courts because an original appeal request was filed one day late. They also say prosecutors did not turn over certain evidence to defense attorneys before trial.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would set a horrible legal precedent. Why didn't he come up with this idea last year, instead of waiting until the last minute. There is more to this case than what we read in the article.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Read some political philosophy. If you have already, try to understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Congratulations, you are the Biggest Douche on 2plus2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that, but thank you for considering me.

I merely thought that if someone had a basic understanding of political philosophy, they would realize how and why punishment is not decided by victims (the State, not the individual, as the arbiter of justice), and what the consequences would be if justice was measured by how appeased the relatives of victims of a crime are. Perhaps common sense is a better term, but that would have been even more condescending. I find it hard to let comments like "victims deserve to be a bigger part of sentencing than society in general because they were the ones who were wronged" stand. The reason my post was curt was that I've noticed that poster making many other ridiculous comments and claims lately, and I felt that going into detail to explain why he was wrong would be a waste of time. Excuse me if I offended you.

-Phoenix
Old 05-22-2005, 09:31 AM

Absolutely disgraceful.

Let the man do something good with his life. Why should the niece be able to have 'double' revenge. Not only one person murdered but now she is indirectly killing another person.

As for 'Doing this to avoid murder for a few months' Come on! You are seriously saying you prefer the killing to take place on time instead of saving another person?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely disgraceful.

Let the man do something good with his life. Why should the niece be able to have 'double' revenge. Not only one person murdered but now she is indirectly killing another person.

As for 'Doing this to avoid murder for a few months' Come on! You are seriously saying you prefer the killing to take place on time instead of saving another person?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing in the legal system that gives the right to convicted felons to have unnesseccary surgery. I also don't see how any blame can fall upon the niece here, she is not the state responsible for carrying out the sentence. She has no control over the legal system. If you want to blame anyone for the inmates sister not receving the liver transplant, blame the inmate for committing murder in the first place. If he hadn't killed that women he'd be free to donate his organs however he sees fit.