Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: 99 on button. Hello all (first post :) )

[ QUOTE ]
so does everyone think that raising with 99 is right? even if youre (probably) not going to get anyone to fold? what positions call for a limp with 99? any?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want them to fold when you have a better hand than them? Raise in all positions.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:15 PM

if 4 or more people call, then if ANY overcards come on the flop, youre almost surely beaten. whats the point of raising when 4 people have already called if you arent going to get any of them to fold? even if the flop comes without overs, many will still call down with hands like AK KQ KJ etc.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if 4 or more people call, then if ANY overcards come on the flop, youre almost surely beaten. whats the point of raising when 4 people have already called if you arent going to get any of them to fold? even if the flop comes without overs, many will still call down with hands like AK KQ KJ etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ugh. The same holds true for TT and JJ, then, right? An ace, queen, or king is going to come on the flop over 40% of the time when you're holding JJ, so why raise JJ preflop?

99 holds up just often enough unimproved and still has an equity edge vs. the average hands opponents are calling with. This line changes when an opponent raises preflop (suggesting AK/AQ/KQ/etc are possibly out there), but you've got a decent equity edge against the standard hands low-limit players play preflop. Your equity edge against 4 random hands is 32%, over double what the random hands have in equity. Even against opponents with decent "limping" standards, you've got too big of an edge not to pass it up, especially when you have the button. I raise 99 from any position in an unraised pot.

Additionally, playing 99 postflop is much easier when you are the preflop aggressor.

Rob
Old 10-18-2004, 05:24 PM

Hey Diracdelta, welcome to the boards! Glad to have you aboard!

Before I analyze your hand:
[ QUOTE ]
Am almost a total noob to poker. Just finnished SSH. Have also read TOP, WLLH and HEFAP, just to get some feel to where i am and where i want to go in my so far short poker carrier. Have decided to really try to get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes time for the concepts to soak in. You will read and reread these texts several times before you completely "get" it. I still have much to learn from these TOP and HEPFAP, and I have read them both at least 4 times!

Okay, now to the hand. Preflop: I think 99 is a raise on the button preflop, along with 88. On the right table I might raise all the way down to 66.

Flop: Raise! No question about it -- you HAVE to raise this. If 3 bet you can slow down.

This behavior would change the dynamic of the other streets entirely. I don't slow down raising or betting until someone 3 bets me or checkraises me here. Then I go into check-call mode unless someone else starts to go nuts.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even if the flop comes without overs, many will still call down with hands like AK KQ KJ etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is +bling-bling for you.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:17 PM

On the flop vs Ah8h, Kd3d, and Qc7s (i.e. every board card paired PLUS three overs) 99 wins 42% of the time. That's signifigantly over 25% equity. You don't need to win 60-80% of the time to raise; raise when it is the most +EV play, as it is here.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:31 PM

Absolutely. Applied aggression wins poker. Overall timidity does not.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if 4 or more people call, then if ANY overcards come on the flop, youre almost surely beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found this to be quite untrue. After reading WLLH I had this same weak mentality of only betting when you are almost sure you cant be beaten (and i surely saved myself some bets). Then I read SSH and Ed Miller's post about premature folds. I started following hands further when the pot was largish and had my BB/hr improve a fair amount. As an example of a hand when this was the case, I had JJ and had 5 callers to a capped flop. Flop came AAQ rainbow. Flop was capped with 3 callers, including myself (the raisers were on both sides of me). I figured I'm likely beaten, but if I'm not even 10% of the time, the extra 2-3BB will offset that. Single bet on both the turn and river (other called folded on turn), and the one person who had been doing the raising the whole time turned over a high card of T. He sheepishly said "Well, I tried"

Don't be afraid to call down a strong hand in a big pot, even if you're "sure he must have those two diamonds." It's been said before in these forums, but a bad call in a big pot is usually better than a bad laydown.

Freakin
Old 10-19-2004, 11:25 AM

Thx for all the feedback. Got a hole new perspective on my play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].