Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 01:22 AM

Default liking a losing team more

I was leaving a restaurant today and a thought occurred to me as I was putting on my recently purchased Steelers beanie. I'm much more into the Steelers this year than last year. This is a bit strange because at this point in time last year the Steelers were 11-1 and looking like favorites to make the Super Bowl and this year are 7-5 and not looking good to even make the playoffs. I'm not sure if it's actually due to them losing recently, perhaps last season just lit a fire or something. I've also been here longer now, this is my third year here so I'm feeling more connected to Pittsburgh (I don't even dislike it here anymore).

I do think that a team struggling is sort of a bonding experience for the fans though. My favorite soccer team is Sevilla as you can see festively if you look left. I studied for a semester in Seville, Spain in 2000. I probably like Sevilla and hate Betis instead of the other way around simply because I happened to go to a Sevilla match instead of a Betis match just after arriving. All my friends were Sevillista though. The point is that the year I was there Sevilla were the worst team in the first division and I think had a record of something like zero wins, 5 losses and 2 draws in the 7 or so matches I went to. I think the team losing and my friends and I bitching about them all the tiem brought me closer somehow to both my friends and the team, which wouldn't have happened had they been merely mediocre instead of terrible.

Anybody experience something similar?
Old 12-11-2005, 08:03 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: liking a losing team more

Might also be that when they are in a down year, and people start falling off the bandwagon and joining the next flavor of the year, the team becomes more 'yours'.

I've been a Tampa Buc fan for about 30 years. Same with Seahawks, actually. I've had alot of experience with a 'struggling' team to say the least. Damn it was satisfying to see them win the Superbowl. Back in the archives I wrote a pre superbowl post about it. If you can find it, you might identify with it a bit as far as your thoughts on a team.

I still love them. But with the way the NFL is nowadays, many teams lose personality through free agency and such so I don't follow NFL as much.

It's funny, I was talking to someone the other day about how TB winning that was the pinnacle for me. All's that's left for me to witness is the Seahawks winning it. Then what? The feeling I had when TB won it likely won't ever be matched. Even if they win it again.

If you find that old post, you'll see that winning it wasn't even on my mind at that point. Just making it to that point was huge in itself.

b
Old 12-11-2005, 01:17 PM

I wear my Steeler gear way more now that I don't live in the burgh anymore. I like it better when I am the only fan representing the Steelers in a bar than one of the masses.

I think if you don't respect bandwagon jumpers, it is hard to get real into a team when they are real good, because you are doing the same thing the jumpers are.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you don't respect bandwagon jumpers, it is hard to get real into a team when they are real good, because you are doing the same thing the jumpers are.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're following a team year in and year out regardless of how they do, you're not a badwagon jumper when they're doing good. Basically, it kind of feels like everyone found your cool little vacation spot that just got popularized by a vacation magazine and are now running rampant over it.

I remember one night I was in a bar with my very worn Bucs hat (Bruce on it) when they were on their way to the Superbowl(new Pirate ship logo). Some idiot pointed to my hat and said, with a knowing tone, I was joining the bandwagon. Before I could say anything, my brother started laughing at the guy. Pointing to my hat he says, "That hat is anything but a bandwagon hat!"

b
Old 12-11-2005, 01:30 PM

rack up another loss today sir [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 01:35 PM

I agree, and fully enjoyed the Steelers run last year. Like everything else in life, the highs of being a sports fan are better after you've gone through the lows. But the OP is new to Pittsburgh so it was a different situation.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Found it!

Took awhile diggin' in the archives, but here's my pre-superbowl Buc post.

Buc post

b
Old 12-11-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rack up another loss next week sir [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

win this week though
Old 12-11-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

win this week though

[/ QUOTE ]

lame. at least let a pitt fan rub it in. goddamn it.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

win this week though

[/ QUOTE ]

lame. at least let a pitt fan rub it in. goddamn it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]