Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 06:36 AM

Default How big should your bankroll be

You know, I always hear/read theories about how big your bankroll should be when you play at a certain limit Poker, but what is it based on? Personal experience, a precice calculation or nothing? I think it depends on different factors like the limit (NL,PL,FL), the game (Texas, Omaha, Stud), the blinds and your win-/lose-rate.

Does anybody really know?
Old 10-14-2004, 06:46 AM

Default Re: How big should your bankroll be

It does matter on those things, generally we all agree 300BB for Limit Texas Holdem, this is backed up with maths which I don't know, take it to the probability forum if you want better answers.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:50 AM

Your win/lose rate has nothing to do with your br requirements. You can win 9/10 times and be broke if you br isn't right. Think of your total br as a stove with $$$ being the coals needed to keep the fire going. And you should never drop below whatever requirement you have set for yourself. No coals, can't keep the fire going. No $$$, can't stay in action. Make sense?

Of course experience is our best teacher. So yes, br requirements were set and suggested many moons ago by our poker forefathers based on their experiences.

Please don't be offended, but you sound as though you are a fairly new player and don't have a poker library. Otherwise you wouldn't be posing this question. All of the quality literature(SS, HPFAP etc...) will have a section dedicated to this subject in greater detail.

Kind Regards,

KC
Old 10-14-2004, 09:09 AM

I don't recall too much detail on bankroll requirements in HEFAP or SSH.

however, Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Mason Malmuth has a rather good section on bankroll requirements.

300BB for limit is a decent starting point....but many players, including yours truly, prefers closer to 500BB just to be super-duper safe. In fact, my bankroll even exceeds that much of the time.

NL bankrolls are generally discussed in terms of buy-ins (since you should be buying-in for the max allowed on whatever table you are playing on generally). I'm not sure, but I think 20 buy-in's is considered to be a decent sized BR at NL.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:11 AM

Your win/lose rate has nothing to do with your br requirements.

whaaaat? the bankroll necessary is dependent on your winrate, variance, and acceptable ror. 300 bb was derived using these variables for the average solid player, i believe. i have never done the calculations myself, but if you win at a higher rate or with a lower variance, then you can safely play with a smaller bankroll.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:33 AM

Bob i'm starting to disagree more with the need for a massive bankroll to move up, sure do it if that makes you feel comfortable, however I think it is much more optimal to move up and take "a shot" at a higher limit earlier on. Ofcourse you still require a reasonable BR and you similarly need to be willing and able to drop back down if you don't run well at first. I think if you are just trying to move up and play higher stakes this is far more optimal than waiting untill 500BB or even 300BB before moving up. However if its your intention to make a certian limit your "home" then having a large BR is obviously neccessary.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:40 AM

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...t=all&vc=1

'Safe' Rule of thumb: 300 BB for LHE, 50 buyins for SNGs or NL.

BEst of luck.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:43 AM

i agree with your approach as well interestingly enough.

the reason I am so conservative is that I am now playing full-time for income and am still trying to gain some amount of comfortability doing this. For quite awhile I was in a position where a few bad streaks put together would hurt my bankroll and I would have to actually think about (gasp) getting a REAL job. So I took the conservative approach.

When I got some extra income as cushion I took a couple calculated shots at higher limits. Dropped too many BB for my tastes at party 15/30 with some bad-beats and bad play on my part. But have made it all back and then some playing 5/10 and 10/20 on various sites. A couple months ago I had never played higher than 3/6 so I'm happy I decided to take the chance at the higher limits.

Anyway, playing full-time for income creates it's own little issues....I try to keep my total amount of dough seperate from my 'poker-money' in my mind but even then I have naturaly instincts to be overly-cautious with it.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your win/lose rate has nothing to do with your br requirements.
Kind Regards,

KC

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a brutal statement. If you are a losing player there is no bankroll big enough for that level.

Win rate and variance ARE important and my possum urges you to remember that.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:48 AM

I think bankroll improves significantly faster than skill.

Not that I mind newbies jumping in way over their heads. Even though short lived I usually love them while they last.