Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Do you fold a favorite?

No, this isn't one of those first-hand-AA-facing-all-in questions.

Pokerroom's 20K guaranteed, 150-300 blinds, most of the way through the 2nd hour, 260ish left out of 700+, top 90 paid. I'm low-middle of the pack with 5k, below average.

Q5o in the big blind, 1 limper and the SB completes. Flop 556 with two hearts. Woo hoo, flopped a set.

SB checks, I decide to check in hopes the limper will bet (this is an error, yes?). Limper bets 500. All according to plan so far.

SB goes all-in and has me covered. This wasn't part of my plan, but unless he has 66, K5 or A5 (or Qh5), I'm way ahead. I pays my money and I takes my chances, right? There's no sense in folding for fear of the three hands that are currently beating me or the handful that could outdraw me? Folding lets me stick around to take my chances in some other pot, but you don't exactly get a lot of double-up offers at times when you're reasonably sure you're way ahead.

He was the SB in an unraised pot, so he could have anything at all. Also, I've just arrived at this table so I know nothing about the guy. Arguments in favor of folding, but not big ones, are they?

I call, he shows Jh4h. And of course you wouldn't be reading this story if he hadn't caught the 7h on the turn for his flush.