Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 01:27 PM

Default What to do with next 9 months of my life?

I need to figure out something to do for the next 9 months of my life. I am 18 right now, and am going to college in september. I have done my early application, that stuff is pretty much finished (unless I don't get in, I should though. I find out Dec 15th.)

I would be content with waking up at 11, lounging until 4, going and working out (I am an athlete and will play in college, its squash btw), getting back at 8 to play poker until I do whatever I'm doing that night. This appeals to me because I'd have a great time and I could make a ton (relative to every other 18 year old HS grad) of money. Once I get into school and get that locked down I could travel in the spring/summer. Sounds great, right. Well the only problem is that my parents kind of want me to do something which they think is more constructive. Which they do have the right to do, given that they've paid for my school, I'm living in their house, and they will be paying for my college (no small feat, hopefully i'll be going to upenn). My parents have finally wrapped their heads around how much money I am making from poker, which they at first were skeptical of, but now they realize that there is no way I am going to work at Applbee's because the money is nothing. They want me to get a resume building internship or something like that. They don't want me to be wasting this time doing something which looks like a huge gap in my life to future employers. I don't really agree with this, because I am doubtful that anything I do now will really be meaningful on a resume in the future. I think when I am 22 and out of college doing whatever I will be doing (who knows) employers will not care. I would rather play poker, have a good time, save up some money, and then go to college.

So, my question is, first, how right are my parents? Will a job I get really make a big difference on my resume and if I don't do anything except poker/traveling will it really be a bad looking gap? And if I did want to find something to do, what should it be? Pleasing my parents and having them satisfied with what I'm doing will definitely make life easier. I dunno what my professional interests are yet so what are some open ended ideas for stuff I could do? It could be non profit, an internship, anything.

I am in this weird situation because I skipped 2 years in grade school and graduated from HS at 16. Right now I am 18 and when I go to college next september I will be average age and come in as a standard freshman.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: What to do with next 9 months of my life?

[ QUOTE ]
I am an athlete and will play in college,

[/ QUOTE ]

Right-o.

[ QUOTE ]
its squash btw

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

Old 11-28-2005, 01:31 PM

relax dude, you haven't even gotten into college yet. yeah, eventually you'll have to get a couple of internships, but not until you are at least a soph/jun. you didn't even say what you will be studying (though i'm assuming business), so the next 9 months you should just have fun with, and not worry about. and come down to Union Sq more often for my card game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
relax dude, you haven't even gotten into college yet. yeah, eventually you'll have to get a couple of internships, but not until you are at least a soph/jun.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually more about getting my parents off my back, I am pretty laid back and have been a huge slacker in life. I am more than happy to just lounge around until college. i'll def be there this week btw.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:36 PM

What you do the summer after your senior year of high school doesnt mean jack. You are not going to be able to get a good internship, so just play poker and travel. When you get to college, participate in an extracurricular that you can put on your resume (newspaper looks good). In the meantime, you could try volunteering for something. Where do you live? There are a lot of bog elections in 2006 that you could volunteer for part time over the summer and still have plenty of time for poker and other crap. Since you would be working as a volunteer you would stll have a lot of flexibility in your schedule.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:36 PM

9 months is probably just short enough, where you can keep them off your back with "Ill get one eventually, Im still looking", then by the time they get fed up, you will be too busy getting ready to go away to college.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
relax dude, you haven't even gotten into college yet. yeah, eventually you'll have to get a couple of internships, but not until you are at least a soph/jun.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually more about getting my parents off my back, I am pretty laid back and have been a huge slacker in life. I am more than happy to just lounge around until college. i'll def be there this week btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

well then, you need to tell your parents to slow their roll. ask them what they were doing at 17, and then they'll probably stfu.

no game this week by the way, read my sleeping pills thread for the reason why.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:39 PM

Excessively party, drink, and drug now so when you reach college you discover moderation and don't become a complete slapdick pothead pissing away thousands on tuition for the next seven years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 01:41 PM

Old 11-28-2005, 01:42 PM

"lol"