Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 02:15 PM

Default small pot, overbet, monsterdraw, all-in

I dont have the handhistory available and cant access the converter at work but i wanted an opinion on this play. Occassionally, the gambler in me comes out and i take random chances. generally, speaking i am fairly tight.

here is the hand:
NL 200- I am the button

Preflop: Hero is button with 6-7 clubs
UTG calls, hero calls and BB limps (about $7 in the pot)

Flop: Qc, 5C, 8D
BB bets out 25 into a 7 dollar pot, folded to me. I am now open ended and flushing. I sense a bluff, but then again at this point my hand doesnt even beat a bluff. I am feeling alittle frisky and decide to bump it up to 100. Enough to get out a bluff, but also committing myself to the pot if reraised all in.

Yes that was an equally crazy overbet, but i am hoping its enough to get him off of his hand. To my surprise he moves all in. At that point its an automatic call for me. Even if i am up against a monster i have most of the deck working for me.

The turn and river were blanks leaving me with a 7 high. My opponent had 8-9, for middle pair with 9 kicker.

I dont mind the loss, my question is whether anyone would have played it differently.

COnsidering the size of the flop bet, i couldnt see myself just calling and my hand was so powerful that i couldnt see myself laying it down.

thoughts appreciated