Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 04:32 AM

Default standard or spewing?

UTG kind of taggish, but seemed to have FPS and overvalue hands

BB was complete moron

as a note, flop check is not my standard play, just seems that a) recently when i flop monsters and bet, everyone folds b) wanted to let BB (the moron) catch something so he'll go to the river with it.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (16.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 28.70 BB
Old 07-08-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Re: standard or spewing?

I play it the same way except I bet the flop so as not to only check flop after a pf raise when I have a monster. Villain could have any 6 that he thought he was being deceptive with.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:02 AM

I would just bet the flop anyway since I usually don't have a monster and want them to fold at once.

Post-flop is just weird if UTG is taggy... will he stop at 3-bets pre-flop with a premium hand just to be tricky? Because if he won't it looks like he is either overplaying AJ or has 66 but with BB happily calling everything I don't mind a cap.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:05 AM

I guess you didn't have to cap the river, but there is no such thing as spewing with this hand, in my opinion--unless you count spewing profanity when he shows you a better hand at the end.

Cartman
Old 07-08-2005, 07:19 AM

They will often check the flop here with overpair trying to check/raise you since you have shown strength preflop I think you can expect TT to AA here quite often. When he caps the turn I think I would slow down a little. You can expect to see JJ here.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:23 AM

I wouldn't have capped the river, but sometimes in the heat of battle......

I also bet the flop, but I don't think checking it was that bad.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:43 AM

Not betting this flop is bad. They will call with anything on this flop because the pot is so big, but may fold to your turn bet if they only have overcards.

Also, it looks hugely suspicious when you 3-bet preflop and don't bet a paired flop. If I see this play from a LAG or TAG then I will go into caution mode and you won't be able to extract much from me.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:10 AM

Bet the flop. No reason to slow down here. You have the 4th nuts. With the BB in there the whole way. If UTG is taggish, he should be capping any hand that beats you preflop. If he has 66, oh well.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:56 PM

okay okay, so i shouldn't have said a) in my list of reasons of checking the flop. really, BB was REALLY bad. maybe he would've taken one off on the flop, but with something like J2o (....) i doubt it. and i wanted him in there

Results:
UTG showed JJ
BB should J2o

nice little one-outer. maybe this was half a beat-beat post in disguise... so sue me. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]