Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Yet another AA hand for review

Villian is new to the table so no reads. I'm not totally convinced i'm playing aces well, and it's hands like these that make me wonder about it. I'll post results of the hand later after hearing from you guys what you would have done. I don't want to give away the outcome of the hand or what I did, but I will tell you that later on, this villain overplayed some hands. I think I should have pushed the flop...but seeing as how I didnt, what is your turn action?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($131.05)
MP ($96)
Button ($57.75)
SB ($131.12)
BB ($197.9)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, MP calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $3.50, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($16) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $28</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $14.

Turn: ($72) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP calls $64 (All-In) Hero??
Old 06-27-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Yet another AA hand for review

Villian has a J (AJ?) im guessing (though ive seen this move a lot recently with hands like TT, QQ) and you should call. The 6 couldnt have helped him so the only thing youre worried about is 55/44/JJ and that doesnt seem the logical way to play a set here.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:53 AM

I think if you called the minraise on the flop, you have to call the turn push.

This is the reason I limp reraise in full ring UTG with AA.

unfortunately this is 6max and I would have raised to 4xbb just like you did and been caught in same position.

despite the flop being fairly drawless, with 3 others to the flop, you have to bet too.

I think this was played ok.

sometimes I raise to 6xbb if I'm UTG to try to avoid multiple callers behind me.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM

the min-raise smells like a set but I don't see how you can muck this.... you do beat AJ KJ KK QQ... 2 pair and semi bluffs look highly unlikely here (54s, 67s)....

pay the set off and punish KK/QQ/AJ/KJ
Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM

I would call this close to 100% of the time in a 5-handed game. You will see a good jack or a smaller overpair far more often than a set or the straight. I also wouldn't push the flop. Pushing the flop lets him get away from a good jack but causes you to still get stacked by a set. By calling the flop and checkraising the turn (or check/calling a push), you make more from a jack or KK/QQ (though, of course, you still lose to a set).
Old 06-27-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call this close to 100% of the time in a 5-handed game. You will see a good jack or a smaller overpair far more often than a set or the straight. I also wouldn't push the flop. Pushing the flop lets him get away from a good jack but causes you to still get stacked by a set. By calling the flop and checkraising the turn (or check/calling a push), you make more from a jack or KK/QQ (though, of course, you still lose to a set).

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

You are getting better than 2:1 here. Yum.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:04 PM

alright, thanks for all the responses guys. I actually typed in the chat window that I really think i'm behind but i'll hate myself if I don't call this. I closed my eyes and hit the call button. The river bricked, he rolled KK and MHIG. I guess there was no way to get away from the hand for either of us here. I really thought I might be behind to a set, although it was a donkishly played set. I figured I was ahead of AJ often enough to call here. there was a chance the 6 made him a straight, but I can't see someone making that huge reraise with a straight draw on that flop. I think if he would have reraised with his kings preflop, then I would have had a better line on his play and calling the turn push would have been MUCH easier. As it was, he tried to lay a trap and ended up stepping in it himself. This particular villain had a really bad habit of slowplaying monster hands and I stacked him twice. The other time I stacked him he had 88 against my 99...he flopped a boat, and checked it on the flop, flat called my turn bet, and let me river a 9, where I stacked him again.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:09 PM

I haven't read any of the responses just yet, but I have a hard time putting the Villain on a set here. If he had 44 or 55 I would think he would be much more likely to call your flop bet and then raise your turn continuation bet... I feel like this is almost certainly a high jack or a high pair. I'm calling this almost every time unless I have seen the opponent fast play sets like this, which, as far as I know, is extremely uncommon.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:14 PM

I'm usually calling here, even though of course it's less than ideal. You are probably behind a lot, but I doubt it is more than 50% of the time.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:38 PM

most of the time when i'm min-raised i'm on the flop i'm usually against a set which sucks. nh