Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 10:15 AM

Default 97 straight on flush board

2-2-5, I have about $700, everyone relevant in the hand has me covered.

3 limpers and I complete on the button. with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB and BB call.

Flop ($30) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

EP bets $20, folded to me, I raise to $120, EP calls.

Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Check, Check.

River Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

EP bets $150. Who calls?

I raised on the flop intending to fold to a reraise or if he bet out on the turn. I think my fuzzy logic was something along the lines of raising in order to slow him down if he didn't hit the nut flush? Bad logic? If he did hit a flush, I'm throwing money away, if he has something like the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he's just getting free cards. Didn't know how to play this. I figured a baby flush would play it the same way he did also. How would you have done things differently?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Re: 97 straight on flush board

I think your raise on the flop tells him you're either semi-bluffing with the A of hearts or have a strong made hand (straight or set) that doesn't want to see another heart come.

I think raising to 70 or so on the flop is a better play because it keeps the pot smaller which allows you to 1/2 to 2/3 pot it on the turn. If he then check-calls and bets the river I think you have a fold or if he check-raises the turn I think you have a fold (barring a strong read).

Given that you checked the turn through, he either puts you on a semi-bluff with an A of hearts or a hand that fears a made flush, so he can bet with impunity on the river.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:37 PM

i would call. it could be taking one more shot with the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or it could be a value bet from a worse hand like 68 or a set.

you've played this hand looking like you could have the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] as well (and ran a free card play), although it wouldn't make much sense to bet into the naked A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the end unless you couldn't beat it in a showdown.

i think your line throughout is fine as long as you call the river.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:41 PM

I'm not sure why with a made flush he would check the turn. The river could present all kinds of problems and he has no idea where you're at. You could be on the ace of hearts, or you could have a set. If the board pairs or another heart comes, he'd have no idea what to do.

If he's good, maybe he thinks that a set fires out again with the blank on the turn.

This seems to be a play that only a confident Ace high flush would make, or a lone A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Still, though, it seems player-dependent to me. I'd probably call, but I've been playing much lower stakes for the last month, where players would make a play at this with top pair.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why with a made flush he would check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree - i don't think the non-nut flush would want to check-raise the turn after hero shows a lot of strength on the flop. the nut flush would want to bet it to get value from a set or smaller flush (and charge the set to draw). i would expect any flush to lead the turn.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:28 PM

In a heads up situation and it gets checked to you on the turn you have to bet it...if he had A of hearts then he would probabaly dump it for a nice bet...
Old 09-20-2004, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would expect any flush to lead the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

alot of players (especially bad ones) will try to c/r the turn here with a flush.

in most situations whent he turn goes check check i end up calling the river with a semi wide range of hands, but probably not this one. its hard to put him on a hand you beat that would bet the river after the flop and turn action. as a side note, if he wanted to represent a flush and push you off your hand, he would have done it on the flop. it feels weak considering the turn play, but folding to a river lead out here cant be wrong.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its hard to put him on a hand you beat that would bet the river after the flop and turn action.

[/ QUOTE ]

a set? two pair? naked A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
Old 09-20-2004, 05:25 PM

Hey,

Just a couple questions so that I know I'm thinking about the right things:

How would you have played it differently?
How would have played a baby flush in this spot?

I would have liked to take this down on the flop, when he called my flop raise, I was worried so I didn't want to bet the turn for fear of betting into a flush. Is this weak thinking?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:02 PM

Hey bro- two things.

1. Play it like you did, you have the nutz no flush on the flop. He doesn't raise, which might indicate flush draw. You still have the nutz no flush on the turn, so if you can't read him go to your guts and ask them. Push or be prepared to fold here. Baby flushes might fold to a second strong bet. If it's motor city, ace of hearts will call and double you up 4 out of 5 times.

2. I would have put him on either high flush or a 9/J one heart if I could read he was drawing. queen should scare you slightly.