Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 02:39 AM

Default I need to win!

I have qualifyed for the Ladbrokes Poker million. 72 players competing for $ 1 million.

To get to the final 12, I have to win a 6-player sng.

My problem is: I am reasonably succesfull in sng's but i almost never win them. Of 300 10 handed sng I have only won 23 (60+ 2' places). Less than 1/10!

When I get HU I am almost always behind.

How do I adjust in the Ladbrokes tournament to increase my chances of winning? How do I become a better HU player? How do I avoid being so far behind when we get HU?

Any advice really is appreciated. If I only win one mor sng in my life it has got to be this one [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 02:45 AM

Default Re: I need to win!

How do I become a better HU player?

Play heads up SNGs until your brain falls out.

How do I avoid being so far behind when we get HU?

You may find that with no hanging on at the bubble stage (as there isn't one) that you will not be so short stacked.

There are 6-max sngs at ultimate and stars, play them until you puke.

Lori
Old 11-24-2004, 03:47 AM

Get lucky. Stop laughing, I'm serious. With such a discrepency between your 1st's and 2nd's, without seeing hand histories or knowing anything about your style my guess is that you're too passive when it gets heads up. This time when you get to HU, push or fold every single hand. It'll neutralize the advantages of your superior HU opponent. And I agree with Lorinda - go to town on 6 person SNG's betweent now and then.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:38 AM

or, as Lori suggests, he's limped into the money and by the time he gets HU he's outgunned. With a winner take all event you have to push any/all marginal advantages and win yer coinflips.

stoneii
Old 11-24-2004, 05:50 AM

Play more aggressive early. There is no need to 'hang around' with only one winner. All plays should be made according to EV. Don't pass up small edges, unless you are better than a lot of the players.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:30 AM

How did you qualify. I've just set up a Ladbrokes account to try to get in this thing and it's confusing. You either play extremely high limit sngs or get lucky in what i presume are multis with huge amounts of people in them.

Barry Hearn seems to like these 6 player sng tv events. I've watched most of the recent ones, some of them live and I'm starting to get really bored with them. Watching live was a lot better - seeing just how many times Devilfish for example steals with nothing, but once they are edited you lose all of that and just seem to get the all ins.

I believe your question has come up 3 times now on this forum once from me for the euro open, another guy for the uk open and yourself. If you do a search under my name, i think its some thing like "playing sngs with the pros" I got some good replys. There's a huge amount of luck involved in these. I just played my usual start tight at first, go all in at the end kinda game and was lucky enough to win the first one but then busted out of the final early. Both the pros who commentated on my games said I played too tight. I'm still trying to work out if they're right or not. eg the final I lost tree quarters of my stack misplaying KK, went all in with 10 10 and doubled up, tryed to steal the BB and folded to a reraise and then went out with AK v 10 10. I can't work out what else they think i should have done. I hate leakin chips but I appreciate that they are on a higher level than me so maybe its something I'll work out one day.

I wish you the best of luck, altthough if i qualify I hope you come second [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you qualify. I've just set up a Ladbrokes account to try to get in this thing and it's confusing. You either play extremely high limit sngs or get lucky in what i presume are multis with huge amounts of people in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a weekly $1750 buy-in on Sunday afternoon (6pm). If you don't want to buy-in direct you can qualify through the daily $200 multi (8.30ish PM). No-one shows any real interest in qualifying via the SNGs as far as i can see. The daily $200 attracts some pretty bad players (some who qualify from multis with as little as $2 buy-in) so it's not that hard to play your way into contention. 1 in 10 qualify for the weekly Sunday MTT.

The Sunday qualifier is a different kettle of fish altogether. 2500 chips, with blinds starting at 10/15, and tables are six-handed. The standard is good & it's tough to qualify (only 1 in every 10).

Having said all of that, beacuse of the added prize money that Ladbrokes are putting in this tournament definitely offers huge value.

Best of luck and if I see you in this Sunday's qualifier stay away from my blinds!!
Old 11-24-2004, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Best of luck and if I see you in this Sunday's qualifier stay away from my blinds!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure the pros told him he's too tight - you'll be fine [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

LOL - gl