Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 11:44 PM

Default KQo in the SB.

I just got to this table so I don't know diddly about bupkus.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

- Jim
Old 12-07-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: KQo in the SB.

ah, yes. the old chk/rz with nothing. Look, either your hand is good or it isn't. I bet. Why? Becuase that's what you do when you have an ace. I also check/fold the river UI.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 PM

My opponent pretty much must have an Ace to continue here (occaisional flush draw).

- Jim
Old 12-08-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My opponent pretty much must have an Ace to continue here (occaisional flush draw).

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

that's just not true. This spew play is common enough that you should be calling down with any pair.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:06 AM

Look, I'm as open as the next guy to discussion and criticism. But to say that this play is "common enough" is absolutely false.

- Jim
Old 12-08-2005, 12:12 AM

ok.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:20 AM

I like the line, since it only needs to be good &gt;26% of the time to make money. A bet would have opened you up to a turn (semi)bluff, but it only has to be good &gt; 18%. Also you're likely to get someone to fold a weak 2 or 6 with the c/r line, right? However, if you get called by utg+1, what do you do on the following rivers:

Ac,Td,7s?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:57 AM

One of these guys has a weak ace I'd imagine. He's not going to let it go if he has it. I doubt someone with less than a set of aces is going to bet here. Although it has the potential (good potential) of foling out medium pocket pairs, the chances of him having an ace are much better IMO and therefore I don't think this play is a profitable one. I bet the BB is playing A-rag.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the BB is playing A-rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on absolutely nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt someone with less than a set of aces is going to bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'm nitpicking when I say that "set" is the wrong term to use here.

Regardless, a lot of hands will bet here.

If you had an ace, you'd bet (usually). Your opposition will figure you for less than an ace. There's a good chance any pair will bet here or any cards.

How often, I don't know. It's an easy fold to a 3-bet, and if the hand goes on to the river, you check/fold. Are you folding out two hands 27% of the time? BB is folding without an ace, no reason to suspect he has one yet. UTG+1 open limped so we have some reasonable evidence that he plays junk. That junk includes an ace often, and that ace isn't folding. If he calls the c/r, he's folding the river 0% of the time unless he's on a flush draw, in which case, you're bluffing with the best hand anyway.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:12 AM

check/fold all of them I imagine.