Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 05:18 PM

Default KK - Ace on the flop. Common situation, I need to fix it

Second hand of the tourney.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t670)
CO (t770)
Button (t975)
SB (t785)
Hero (t800)
UTG (t800)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, MP2 calls t60, Button folds, SB folds.

Flop: (t177.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t125</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t302.50

This kinda thing happens a billion times a day, and I'm not sure what to do. Betting imo is -EV because I only get called/raised by an ace. Checking, on the other hand, just says "Yo dude, take it, I'm a pussy."
Old 12-10-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: KK - Ace on the flop. Common situation, I need to fix it

I'll toss out a pot sized bet usually, so long as the flop isn't too coordinated. Any reraise and I'm out...it's the situations in which someone calls that I have trouble with. Go after the pot on the turn if a non scary card pops up, or give it up and check?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:01 PM

I usually bet out 100 on any flop. If there's an ace and he doesn't fold I'm usually done with it though.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:04 PM

I think you play in much higher levels than I do, and you FREQUENTLY get the Ax crowd in with this at my level.

I wonder if at the higher/"smarter" levels, you can still represent a better ace (or the only A) than the caller and throw out that 3/4 - pot size bet and get AT and below to muck. But, yeah, I hate this spot.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Second hand of the tourney.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t670)
CO (t770)
Button (t975)
SB (t785)
Hero (t800)
UTG (t800)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, MP2 calls t60, Button folds, SB folds.

Flop: (t177.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t125</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t302.50

This kinda thing happens a billion times a day, and I'm not sure what to do. Betting imo is -EV because I only get called/raised by an ace. Checking, on the other hand, just says "Yo dude, take it, I'm a pussy."

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude thats ridiculous you need to bet out. Yes you only get called/raised by an ace, but you take away the chance of him bluffing, of which is a bluff you will not call. You don't make every bet in poker to get called by worse hands. Just because only better hands than yours will call, doesnt make your bet wrong. The way you play it, you let some bozo with any two cards just fire one bullet and take the pot from you. This is an obvious bet...imo checking here is just terrible at the lower limits.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you play in much higher levels than I do, and you FREQUENTLY get the Ax crowd in with this at my level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 22s...so unless you're playing micro STTs, I can't play at a much higher level [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for settin me straight curtains
Old 12-10-2005, 06:10 PM

What do you do if he calls? Check-fold turn or fire again?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 22s...so unless you're playing micro STTs, I can't play at a much higher level

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...yeah, I see a bajillion posts and I assume your in the $1000000 STT crowd (plus your posts show far more knowledge than I have [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ). Sorry 'bout that [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] So I definitely feel your pain in these situations.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:24 PM

When you raise PF and bet out when an Ace comes on the flop, your representing the A. Most of the time he wont call unless he has the Ace himself. So if he calls, there is a good chance he has the Ace or sometimes he has a lower PP and doesnt want to believe you. Then you check the turn and hope to check it down. If he bets, he's probably got you beat. If he checks behind you probably still have the lead. That's where things get interesting and develping reads and such come into play. But the flop is a standard bet when heads up.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll toss out a pot sized bet usually, so long as the flop isn't too coordinated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally I am MORE inclined to make a pot sized bet on a coordinated board because I want to look like I'm protecting the ace I'm representing.