Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Pocket Aces bringing-in

Anyone play this differently?

Also, at what point do we think seat four is rolled?

Looking back at the hand, I think going for the overcall on the river is probably best - he's unlikely to three-bet, but there's a good chance he had a better boat. Any thoughts?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls

4th Street - (10.70 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (8.35 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (14.35 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (17.35 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (21.35 BB)
Old 11-18-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Pocket Aces bringing-in

I think seat 4 is betting with either trip J's or 4's or 2 pair on forth. As the hand goes on it looks more like trips.

I still probably call this the whole way depending on reads. Raise on the river looks good.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:19 AM

I’d be concerned on 3rd. With all those dead hearts, rolled 4s is the only hand he should be sticking around with, after all.

On 4th, he confirms that suspicion. You can’t really fold though, getting over 16:1 and good implied odds.

If you hadn’t improved on 5th, you could have made a good laydown. Even with aces up, check-folding is probably not a bad idea, especially since you only have two clean outs.
I can’t fault you for calling this down, but I think you shouldn’t bet out on 5th. Seat 4 isn’t going anywhere and you can’t exactly value bet, can you.

Check-raising the river is good.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think seat 4 is betting with either trip J's or 4's or 2 pair on forth. As the hand goes on it looks more like trips.

I still probably call this the whole way depending on reads. Raise on the river looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he limped with Pocket JJ and then cold called 3 bets?

No way. If he's careful enough to limp JJ because there is a Q and K behind him he'd fold 3rd. The ONLY hand a normal opponent can have there is rolled 4.

If you've played more than 15 hands with this guy and he hasn't made himself known to be a total baffoon you have to put him on trips (probably at 3rd st)(and at the very worst on 4th).
Old 11-19-2005, 04:36 PM

To instantly say he must be rolled up is a pretty poor statement. I moved up to 5/10 on Party recently and have found the standard to be appalling. Has anyone considered the fact that this guy might have the other buried aces, or something like kings? It wouldnt be too unusual for him to play them that way. You have not rereraised third with just a pair of deuces so have to have something bigger in the hole in his eyes, and if he has the aces.

You say a good player would not stick around without being rolled up, but look at the poor hitchhiker, who has stayed in despite you showing two pair and getting raised. Bad players exist at 5/10, a lot of them.

I have known players to three bet 3rd fourth and fifth on three/four flushes before at 5/10.

Also it isnt possible to go for the overcall on the river, because you check, your opponent bets, and the third player folds. I simply dont see how you can get an overcall. Really if he was rolled he has not paired his board, so your house is most likely best, get as many bets in as you can. I take it he paired the river and beat you though.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it he paired the river and beat you though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think he could have lost this hand. The other guy should see that the 2 queens are dead so your best hand here is probably 2's full, since he didn't reraise I think the hand has to be best.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:32 PM

If this guy can bet 6th withiut a set he's a big-time looney tune.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:03 PM

The bet on sixth obviously meant trips. I have odds to call if he turned his cards over showing trip 4s. The real question is when you give him credit for trips.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bet on sixth obviously meant trips. I have odds to call if he turned his cards over showing trip 4s. The real question is when you give him credit for trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already said 3rd, or at the very least 4th.