Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 02:08 AM

Default squeeze play

5-10 full game on stars...

PFR of 16% after 40 hands in MP opens for $35 w/ 1.5k, CO + 1, CO, BUTTON, and SB all call and all stacks are 1k+. I've been trying to improve my game out of the blinds (raise big as a bluff more often) - I have $600 w/ TJo in the BB, should I raise big in this already big pot?

P.S> My image is on the tight side at the moment
Old 10-04-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: squeeze play

i like it, noone can have a big hand except MP who of course is unlikely to have one given his pfr %. I'd say 180-220 to go and 300ish on the flop if you get a caller, depending on who it is.

I always end up wishing I got more action when I have a big hand in situations like this, which probably means there are some good steal oppurtunities that I'm passing up.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:52 PM

I have tried this play several times and have had success with it. This assumes that all of the players in the game are fairly solid, and won't be making wacky calls on you.

On the other hand... if you DO get a caller.... I'm not so sure about the EV of a push.

There are no implied odds for calling this raise, so anybody who calls must think that they have the best hand, right?

If you think that a push is good, are there any boards that you wouldn't do it on?

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:00 PM

I think you are too short to pull this b.s. Although a push isn't TOO bad. As long as nobody has AK or TT+, you should be fine.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are too short to pull this b.s.

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed. you need to be able to threaten stacks.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:13 PM

I think the you have to worry about MP's range, the chance of AK in one of those callers hands, or even QQ in SB.

Any read on MP? I think he would call with AA, KK, and AK in that spot 100% of the time and QQ a percentage of time depending on the player. What percentage of his range do these hands cover? It would have to account for less than 25% of his range I think for this to be +EV when you factor in the chance of AK for other players.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:15 PM

JT is the kind of hand you want in the BB in a raised, multiway pot. Everyone else is deep-stacked, and if you hit a decent flop and get some action you could easily double or even triple up.
Seems to me that if you decide to raise big you might as well just push all in. If you raise anything less than 300 they're getting decent odds to call. If you raise more than that and get called you're most likely dominated as well as pot-committed. Although if all you want is the dead money you might as well push all in and get people to fold junk like AJ. I say just call with the good drawing hand and hope for a decent flop.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say just call with the good drawing hand and hope for a decent flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the right answer to the wrong question. OP said he's trying to improve his game out of the blinds. This is a fairly "creative" move, and goes against the standard ABC.

FWIW, I like the idea of the squeeze and this seems like a great place for it given your image and the OR's image, but I think you're too short for it.

-JOTR
Old 10-04-2005, 07:26 PM

agree with all, you're too short.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:31 PM

General question: what is the minimum stack in which OP is *not* too short?

Marlow