Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Adoption and Poker

yeah.

that should be reasonable I would think.

I still think it is partially dependent on how much gambling income you reported. Because once you get to a certain amount it's going to be tougher and tougher to pull off, "I play a little and got lucky."

But I've changed my mind on my previous advice and think that milo's approach is the way to go on this one.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:54 AM

Don't make it a big deal. If they mention anything about gambling income just say you won some money playing poker and leave it at that. Don't explain how you want to become a professional gambler or how playing poker is the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:12 AM

Tell em the truth. If they don't understand you do not want to be associating with them anyay.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they don't understand you do not want to be associating with them anyay.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm..he's trying to get a kid. he's not trying to date their investigative team for the rest of his life.

there's a difference.
some people don't understand the whole bit about being able to consistently win at poker.
But he might have to deal with one of those people if they happen to be the one in charge of deciding if they were worthy parents or not.

To that end he is correct to consider ahead of time how forthcoming he wants to be regarding his poker playing.

you have to put on your best face.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Sarge85 -

Sarge-

Sorry to be totally off-topic, but you are (or used to be) a tournament paintball player, aren't you?

Furthermore, I vaguely remember you as a poster on pbnation.com, which I used to be also.

Am I right or totally hallucinating? Sorry for the off-topic, but I just HAD to ask.

-Todd
Old 05-17-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
some people don't understand the whole bit about being able to consistently win at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

some people?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would hate to see my hobby screw this up because i get sterotyped as a gambler....

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I thought you were playing for a living and was worried your career choice would keep you from being able to adopt. If its just a hobby, you should be completely forthcoming in my opinion.

I haven't met a person yet that hasn't been completely fascinated with the fact that I play poker online and win at it. If anything your hobby may make it easier to adopt.

Here's how I see the conversation going:

<font color="purple"> you: Yeah, I won some money playing online poker as a hobby </font>
<font color="brown"> them: Poker eh? Cool. You actually win money? </font>
<font color="purple"> you: yep, I've won a total of $25,000 this year </font>
<font color="brown"> them: real money? nooooo!! You can't cash that in for real money, can you? </font>
<font color="purple"> You: yep I been pretty lucky </font>
<font color="brown"> them: what site do you play at? Party poker eh? can you write down the address?</font>
<font color="purple"> You: so, how's the adoption looking? </font>
<font color="brown"> them: huh? adoption, oh yeah whatever. Uh, is next week good? I'll throw in an extra kid for some poker lessons? Huh? What do you say best friend? </font>

Or something
Old 05-17-2005, 09:20 AM

As someone who adopted a little boy from Ukraine three months ago, may I offer you a big congratulations. It is a huge commitment, not only of money, but also time as you are finding out.

That said, I think it will be a crap shoot on the impact of your adoption. I would be honest more than anything as lying about the source of income and getting caught will screw you over big time. Unless your poker income is your ONLY source of income, I would think you would be fine. Of course this may vary person by person, but they care more about a stable, safe, and loving home than someone who makes a little (ha) money playing poker on the side.

As a caveat though, I've only been playing for a little over a year and did not have to mention my poker winnings on the taxes that were submitted to the agency so take it with a grain of salt.

And if you have any questions about adoption or want to check out my boy, head to www.abunchof.us. Congrats again!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't met a person yet that hasn't been completely fascinated with the fact that I play poker online and win at it. If anything your hobby may make it easier to adopt.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't deal with bureaucrats very often, do you?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't deal with bureaucrats very often, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

He must know some interesting people. I've yet to meet a person who thinks highly of a poker player.