Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Explain ND over Oregon ....

I was wondering the same thing.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 AM

I hate when people argue, well more people will watch ND than Oregon, and they are more popular so they should play. More people would watch a team of Gorillas that doesn't mean they should be in the BCS. The fact of the matter is ND's best game all season was a loss. Oregon lost to USC and beat everyone else. It seems when Miami has a bad game and loses to GT everyone points at it, or LSU losing to Tenessee, or VT losing to FSU, or etc. Yet everyone ignores that ND lost to a bad MSU team.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also considering that ND hasnt gotten BCS money in 5 years and Oregon gets some every year, I dont feel too bad about this at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't like some sort of financial aid program where we give BCS bids to teams that need the money (and I think that ND is doing just fine financailly by the way), if they wanted a yearly cut they could join a major conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how people chop posts up and only take one sentence to quote. The main point of my post was that Oregon shouldnt schedule I-AA teams and other creampuffs, then bitch when they dont get any respect. The money comment was just a response to people say that the decision (which there wasnt one by the way since they got in automatically) was all about the money.

Clearly they could join a conference, but I'm sure the fact that they dont share any TV revenues, licensing revenues or anything else (including BCS money) more than makes up for the fact that they havent gotten $1.5 million from the BCS each of the last 5 years. What they should not do is join the Big East, since we'd see them in the BCS every goddamn year for the rest of time since the Big East sucks and will continue to suck at football.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad Michigan didn't have to play Louisville with a healthy Bromm. 7-5 would have looked so bad
Old 12-06-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate when people argue, well more people will watch ND than Oregon, and they are more popular so they should play. More people would watch a team of Gorillas that doesn't mean they should be in the BCS. The fact of the matter is ND's best game all season was a loss. Oregon lost to USC and beat everyone else. It seems when Miami has a bad game and loses to GT everyone points at it, or LSU losing to Tenessee, or VT losing to FSU, or etc. Yet everyone ignores that ND lost to a bad MSU team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, anyone that watched MSU this year will tell you, MSU was very good for the first 5.5 games. MSU beat ND on the road, should have beaten Michigan at home, and was trouncing the #4 team in the land until the coaching staff blew it with the field goal block.

The thing that I find really funny is this:

If USC lost in the last game vs. UCLA, they probalby would have dropped to only 4, 5, or 6, so the final standings would have been like so:

1. Texas
2. Penn St.
3. Ohio State
4. Oregon
5. USC
6. Notre Dame

And Oregon would still have gotten jobbed, as Ohio St would still get the auto birth #1, and ND get the auto berth #2
Old 12-06-2005, 02:04 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oregon is #5 in the BCS and ND is #6, yet by getting #6 ND was "guaranteed" a spot in the BCS? And Oregon was not? I'm so confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon beat no one. Montana, oooo, Fresno, oooo, Houston, ooo

7 average Pac-10 teams, oooo

Notre Dame had one of the hardest schedules in the land, and honestly, they are probably 1 play from playing against Texas in the Rose Bowl.

ND won

@ Pitt
@ Michigan
@ washington
@ purdue
TENNESSEE
lost to USC by 3

Oregon

FRESNO STATE at home by 3
@ Arizona State
CAL at home

No contest. Just those 4 road wins for ND puts them above Oregon.

Think about it this way, if Notre Dame scheduled Houston at home in stead of USC, they'd be 10-1, and no one would question them going to the Fiesta ranked 3-4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they would question it.

You actually used the @Washington game as part proof that they played a tough schedule? Not to mention @ Pitt. Tennesee sucked this year too.

I'm a huge Husky fan, but we flat out sucked this year. The last 2 years it's been a fantasy to be considered a tough opponent on anyones schedule.

The only thing one can brag about Husky-wise is that my seats will improve next year as more season ticket holders refuse to re sign. Woo Hoo!!!

b
Old 12-06-2005, 02:08 AM

USC shouldn't drop that much. They should still get an auto-bid from flat-out dominating this season.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:32 AM

Mich ST= bad team
Old 12-06-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

In the BCS there is a lot of dollar signs. Hell, the whole reason Texas jumped Cal last year for the Rose bowl is because there was little to no interest in Cal. I highly believe Texas made some type of deal under the table and said if you put us there, 40,000+ fans will travel out to LA, fill up your hotels and go to the game. Sure enough we did come, and it turned out to be one of the best Rose Bowls in history.

Same with Oregon. ND has a huge alumni base. Oregon is a good program but it is no ND. All these college presidents want money for their schools. Its about having the hotels/resturants/bars/etc packed to capacity. If the payout for a BCS game was 2 million per team instead of 17 million per team/conference, you would probably see different results.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

In the BCS there is a lot of dollar signs. Hell, the whole reason Texas jumped Cal last year for the Rose bowl is because there was little to no interest in Cal. I highly believe Texas made some type of deal under the table and said if you put us there, 40,000+ fans will travel out to LA, fill up your hotels and go to the game. Sure enough we did come, and it turned out to be one of the best Rose Bowls in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard (except for the part about it being a great game). You think that the voters in both human polls, and the 6 computers all somehow conspired to screw Cal in the last week of the season? I bet you think online poker is rigged too. Cal finished 5th for the same reason that Oregon did this year. They didnt schedule anyone good out of conference, and should have lost to Southern Miss in a nationally televised game that was make or break for them in that last week before the final votes were in. Obviously they werent good enough to be there anyway since they got waxed in the Holiday Bowl (partly due to injuries to their 3 best receivers, but they would have been injured in the Rose Bowl too). I have an affiliation with Pacific Life, who sponsors the Holiday Bowl, and they couldnt get enough tickets for all the Cal fans requesting them, so dont say that the Cal fans wouldnt travel. They traveled to a second tier bowl when they felt they got screwed, so I cant imagine that it would have been much different for their first Rose Bowl in 45 years.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But this ND over Oregon crap should just stop now. If Oregon wants to bitch, they should bitch about FSU getting in over them. or WVU for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God for the voice of reason. This reminds of a mid-major hoops team who got their bubble burst, and is bitching about a deserving team that got in instead of the crappy underachieving 8th place ACC team who lost 10 of their last 12 games but got in because they beat Duke in December. As a corrolary it's always fun picking this team to get bounced in the 1st round no matter who they play.