Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Omahahahahah

I am guessing we have some skilled 0/8 players here in the STT forum, so I am also guessing there is a reason why nobody seems to play them...

Is it because all limit SNGs tend to turn into a crapshoot in later levels?

Or maybe it's because they are amazingly soft, and some of you are there already, fishing from your secret pond?

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I think I'd like to start adding some O/8 games, and would appreciate any insight. (I have played a few low-buyin O/8 tournies on Party, and have done well by playing a very basic selective PF strategy.) If anyone is up for making a run at them with me, I'd be happy to turn it into some a joint effort kind of deal. (Share HHs, offer terrible advice, etc.)

Your Little Omaha Buddy,
octaveshift
Old 07-08-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Omahahahahah

it's because they usually take longer and run less frequently than other games.

citanul
Old 07-08-2005, 05:42 PM

Every non-NLHE SNG at Party is amazingly soft but just too rare at higher limits.

A friend of mine went 36/43 ITM at $10 Stud/8. O8 isn't THAT bad but it's close. $/hour? I dunno. Maybe if you could multitable them effectively.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine went 36/43 ITM at $10 Stud/8. O8 isn't THAT bad but it's close. $/hour? I dunno. Maybe if you could multitable them effectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played Stud SNGs and found them to be absurdly soft. Unfortuantely, I felt the payout structure was not worth the time.

(I always imagine Stud/Hi villains to be 80-year-old men with bifocals, who lean closely into the screen and take a slow hit off their oxygen bottle before calling my raises.)

I mean, they were stupidly easy. People calling when they couldn't even beat my up cards. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 05:56 PM

why the hell would you want to play omaha 8 sngs when the ring games are almost as profitable as nlhe sngs?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I always imagine Stud/Hi villains to be 80-year-old men with bifocals, who lean closely into the screen and take a slow hit off their oxygen bottle before calling my raises.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] it ... hahaha

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 06:05 PM

Hey Octave, I've been playing one or two O8's a day lately. PM if you want to trade some hand histories.

I've done ok at them, but given the relatively low edge in pre-flop hand strength in Omaha (no hand as big a favorite as AA in hold'em) I'm not sure I have an effective late game strategy yet.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why the hell would you want to play omaha 8 sngs when the ring games are almost as profitable as nlhe sngs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually didn't know this. Maybe I should just hit the rings for a while?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:02 PM

omaha of all varieties is the shhhhh secret super profitable game of the stars.

citanul
Old 07-08-2005, 07:07 PM

I've been looking at picking up PLO (not O8) lately. Any reason for the preference toward O8 v PLO? I'd be up for some discussion, but at this point, it'd probably be more productive for you to simply post your hands to the respective forum. I don't imagine I'd know much of what I'm doing as what I've learned so far of PLO has been pretty mind-bending from a NLHE perspective. And I'm not too cotton pickin smart. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]