Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 01:28 AM

Default I don\'t remember the details, but, how much to adjust against idiots?

So i was playing a little paradise 4/8 hi-lo, there were a couple really horrible players in the game quickly going broke, and this hand comes up: I'm dealt [7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

the donks each show low cards, and a weak-tight player limps with a K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] showing.

on fourth i caught perfect- a low diamond, and each of the donks also caought wheel cards. the action was capped, with one of the donks on one end of it and me on the other.

I paired off on fifth (7s, i think), the donks caught bricks, and the WT got another club- he bet, all called

On sixth, I made a decent low draw, the donks got more wheel cards, and the WT got a fourth club, and he's playing strong, so i had to assume his flush was made , but i continued on, with a huge pot, draws to an AQ flush, and seven low, but all i manage to make is a 8-7 low.

The bettor (with the obvious flush) bets on the river, behind me are the two donks- each of which has three wheel cards showing. pot is $168- $8 to call, possibility of jamming is about 20% i'd have to geuss

Do you fold, or call with the worst possible low?

obviously, since I'm making this post, they didn't have lows, but i feel that long term this fold makes sense. of course i have notes on both of the fish now.

I geuss my real question is this:

How much are you willing to adjust your calling-for-value standards against really weak players? far enough to call with an 8-7 low in the above situation? how about calling down river bets with naked big pairs?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: I don\'t remember the details, but, how much to adjust against idiots?

You might have gotten the hand history for this one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I think it's mandatory that you call that one bet. You're getting 10:1 or better on your call, and by your estimate, there is an 80% chance that it will only cost you that one bet. So your true odds are probably more like 7:1 or 8:1, but against terrible players, your 87 is going to be good more than 15% of the time or whatever. Who knows, maybe your pair of Sevens is good. If it gets raised and re-raised behind you, you can probably safely fold.

While this is more true in one-way games than this game, the big money is not in laying down mediocre hands for one bet in huge pots. I mean, if there were no way that an 87 were good, that would be one thing, but the low hands apparently weren't there on the river. The chance of them both missing on the river is a lot more than 15%.