Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Putting Coke in Freezer to cool faster?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are many sudies about this and in fact many do show that warmer water DOES in fact freeze faster than colder water SOMETIMES depending on the situations. This is called the Mpemba effect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate? Or I guess I could google.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look here

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I just read that. Interesting.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was the experiement? Everyone knows hot water freezes faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can give some more details... I was very careful in choosing the parameters of the experiment. We used glass bowls so that the heat transfer out was faster. I did this for a specific reason. One of the main reasons the Mpemba effects works so well is due to evaporation (yes water will evaporate in the freezer), the faster you freeze, the less chance for evaporation. If we were to put out water in insulated materials like 2 open thermoses, both waters would take longer to freeze giving the hot water much more time to evaporate and because of the evaporation, there would actually be less mass (water) to freeze from the hot side. I also did not let him get the water boiling, but only close to boiling also due to evaporation. There is also studies that show warm water feezes at higher temps then cold water due to supercooling properties. I'll have to read up more on that before I can elaborate.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:22 PM

I should add that putting a bottle of beer in liquid nitrogen to cool it down isn't a good method of cooling it. I did this once because I was thirsty, and the beer was warm in the lab. All of the bubbles crashed out and it all went shooting out the top. Good thing I opened it first, otherwise it would have exploded. The more you know...
Old 09-09-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have one friend jump in a pool of 50-degree water and the other in a pool of 35-degree water and see which gets hypothermia first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't the Nazi's already try this?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:37 PM

I have always thought the two cans will cool at the same rate, based on thermodynamics, I have not yet found the specific law yet.

However, at some point the can in the freezer will in fact get colder then the one in the fridge because the freezer is coolder.

I think a proper analogy is the rate at which an object falls is the same for all matter and is not based on its mass.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:47 PM

Nope. Things cool/heat until they become equalized. The rate at which it occurs is decided by the difference between the two and their ability to couple. The first is simple. Think about it this way: if you take your tongue and lick a flagpole in Fargo in February, it'll probably freeze to it. The spit in your mouth/tongue is 98.6 deg, and the pole is something like -25 deg, right?

The second is like heat conductivity; it's why you die faster in cold water than you do standing outside on a cold day. 50 deg water will kill you pretty fast, but 50 deg air won't.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the freezer is the right choice, but you never know....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you do know.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM

um, the freezer is colder than the fridge.

If you put something in the freezer, it will cool faster than if you put it in the fridge.

Duh.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have always thought the two cans will cool at the same rate, based on thermodynamics, I have not yet found the specific law yet.

However, at some point the can in the freezer will in fact get colder then the one in the fridge because the freezer is coolder.

I think a proper analogy is the rate at which an object falls is the same for all matter and is not based on its mass.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just... wow.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just... wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was pretty much a science retard, but Wow. Just... wow.

edit: Can you try to apply some laws of economics to this problem next so I can understand.