Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Accused wrongly of cheating

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like you are 10 years old trying to join the cool kids club at the cost of getting taken advantage of. Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the world of social clubs. This is how it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true of golf clubs, (but definitley true of some golf clubs) and definitely not true in this instance...Im trying to clear my name before I probably discontinue my membership.

Bingo
Old 08-07-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like you are 10 years old trying to join the cool kids club at the cost of getting taken advantage of. Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true of golf clubs, (but definitley true of some golf clubs) and definitely not true in this instance...Im trying to clear my name before I probably discontinue my membership.

Bingo

[/ QUOTE ]

If your going to quit your membership I wouldn't worry about clearing your name. Who cares what these shmucks think of you?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo

[/ QUOTE ]

If your going to quit your membership I wouldn't worry about clearing your name. Who cares what these shmucks think of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, yes, should prolly explain...I have some business interests in the area, and definitley -ev not to defend my name here. I DONT care what they think. But I do care about my reputation.

Bingo
Old 08-07-2005, 06:26 AM

gotcha. So what's happened so far? Hows it going?
Old 08-07-2005, 07:53 AM

Well capn, nothings happened so far, Im in China for a few months and they're in the UK....but I promise I will tell the forum any news when I confront the scoundrels some saturday afternoon in the clubhouse bar without causing a big scene, while ensuring that a few choice members witness the confrontation.

Bingo
Old 08-07-2005, 09:37 AM

Good luck with this whole thing. I'm anxious to hear how it turns out.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:23 PM

I prefer a more subtle response. Direct confrontation that embarrasses them in public will probably have a worse effect on you than on them, i.e. anyone who sees or hears about the scene will not be sure who is in the right but all will make certain that they never are on the receiving end of your diatribes by avoiding any contact with you.

I suggest you talk to the golf pro or other person who can match you up with other players who need a fourth. This will give you opportunity to spend time with other members and develope friendships.

Do NOT bring up the issue. If they bring it up, just say it saddens you that they feel this way and hope you can resolve the issue to everyone's satisfaction. PERIOD. Word will get around that you're a nice guy who doesn't seem the type to cheat people and that, in any case, you have a lot of class.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few months ago, I played on a boozy St Patricks nights with 2 golfing 'aquaintances' after our St PAtricks day society round. They are both very good friends with each other, and I have recently just got to know them through golf. They both approached me with a glint in their eye to play a game of poker with them, as they heard I played a little bit. I said OK, as long as it was NLHE, we settled for PLHE. They said £100, I laughed and said £300 was needed to stop me drinking, otherwise forget it. They clearly were out to skin me, but this surprised them....OK they said.

We highcarded for the deal, and I shuffled and the cards were cut by the player on my right. Then I dealt from the SB, all the while the cards were in plain view on the table. It was 1/2 PLHE.

I got J8o. Flop came T74 rainbow. I bet £3, 2 callers. The turn was the 9 giving me the nut str8. I bet £10. BB rasied to 30, button rasied to 100, I pushed. Both called. BB flipped over top set, and button flipped over bottom str8, 86. river was a blank and I scooped the pot of £900 in the first hand. I gave them their 300 back each (it was a golfing day and I didnt want to be a jerk) so we could continued playing. 20 minutes later, I had it all, with £600 in IOUs.

Months later, they are saying that I cold decked them...and they refuse to honour their debts and are bad mouthing me all over the golf club. Im a new member, and I think I may as well leave the club as these guys are well liked and established.

My image here isnt helped by the fact that I won the society golf auction on my first outting and almost £2k a week before this when, off a 9 handicap, I had the round of my life and shot 1 over gross to beat a field of 70. I also demolished their best pool and snooker players for about £1k as well over a golfing weekend in Ireland.

Unsurprisingly, everyone is very quick to believe that I am a cheating bandit.

Any thoughts on how to repair the damage. I really like this club.

Bingo

[/ QUOTE ]
tough situation i think time will repair this one if at all. Perhaps time to find a new club....