Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Hate Crime Legislation

I don't like hate crime laws either, but what the perpetrator was thinking is certainly a factor in homicide laws. The perpetartors intent (or what the jury believes his intent was) can, in some cases be the difference between manslaughter, second degree murder, or first degree murder.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I still have problems with a greater punishment for somebody who kills a person engaged in occupation X as opposed to occupation Y.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's because it's not only murder but, in the case of police, it's an attack against society/law-and-order as well. (I assume cop-killer laws only apply in on-duty situations)
Old 07-08-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like hate crime laws either, but what the perpetrator was thinking is certainly a factor in homicide laws. The perpetartors intent (or what the jury believes his intent was) can, in some cases be the difference between manslaughter, second degree murder, or first degree murder.

[/ QUOTE ]

As has been pointed out several times before in this thread, intent is different than motive. Hatred is part of the motive, not intent.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:10 PM

Some arguments in this thread are stupid.

Here's a stupid one:

1) Because the punishment is more severe for calling a cop than an ordinary citizen, bad guys are less likely to take a shot at a cop.

Ok I understand this argument.

Let's say that the penalty for second degree murder of an ordinary citizen is 25 years.

Let's say that the penalty for cop killing is life in prison no parole.

Why not make the sentence for killing ANYONE life in prison no parole or death sentence? Give everyone the most severe punishment possible.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like you're for the enforcement of an anti-hate judicial system - but against it being codified in to law?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's redundant. Aggravating circumstances are circumstances that make the crime more severe. This is already considered in court, so the act of making a law (which could be too broad or too narrow) has no meaning. It's a waste of legislators' time and our money, and imo, is just another instance showing legislator X being "tough on crime".
Old 07-08-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a waste of legislators' time and our money, and imo, is just another instance showing legislator X being "tough on crime".

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds an awful lot like an argument against the drug war as well. So why don't you oppose the WOD, BCPVP?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:51 PM

I didn't realize that I supported the War on Drugs. Methinks you're a little too quick to stereotype, Dead [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].
Old 07-08-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't realize that I supported the War on Drugs. Methinks you're a little too quick to stereotype, Dead [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Bull. Even if you haven't made any posts supporting it, you're a Republican, which means that you are very, very likely to support it- especially on hard drugs.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:07 AM

I am a Republican. But I also believe in states rights. If a state decides drugs should be legal there, I don't think the feds should butt in. So stick that in your pipe ( [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and smoke it!

PS. you're a lot dumber (yet funnier) than I remember...
Old 07-09-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a Republican. But I also believe in states rights. If a state decides drugs should be legal there, I don't think the feds should butt in. So stick that in your pipe ( [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and smoke it!

PS. you're a lot dumber (yet funnier) than I remember...

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you conclude that I am dumb? You may think that my views are dumb, and that's fine, but I want to know why you think that I am dumb.