Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Holdem Poker for Advanced players page 146, help please.

[ QUOTE ]
(against a bad player that will automatically call the flop with a gutshot straight draw but would now fold the turn....

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't complete the quote because I don't want to post to much of Dave & Mason's work and this is just enough to get my question answered.

Is the player bad because He automatically calls the flop with a gutshot or because He will now fold on the turn. I think it is because there are only three of you in the hand and the bad player doesn't have the odds to draw to the gutshot even if it is a cheap card.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Holdem Poker for Advanced players page 146, help please.

What is the pot size supposed to be? I don't have the book in front of me since I'm at work. Drawing to gutshots with a loose call on the flop really isn't bad in most cases since you usually can get so much action, but if it's going to be a loose call it better be on a good board to draw to it.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Holdem Poker for Advanced players page 146, help please.

[ QUOTE ]
didn't complete the quote because I don't want to post to much of Dave & Mason's work and this is just enough to get my question answered.

Is the player bad because He automatically calls the flop with a gutshot or because He will now fold on the turn. I think it is because there are only three of you in the hand and the bad player doesn't have the odds to draw to the gutshot even if it is a cheap card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Steamboatin,
IMO, during the whole reading of HEPFAP, one should reason that the players that this book is supposed to be used against have some faint idea that they know what they are doing. They may make a few loose calls and some pre-flop errors but they do play at least somewhat close to the cuff. Let's take the case that they laid out in page 146. The player is bad because he calls the flop bet. With the A on the board a player with let's say KJ, or KQ is getting nearly 7:1 on a pot he really needs 10.5:1 to call this bet on. This is of course assuming you have an A which you do not. Being that you only have a small pair he actually has 10 outs which gives him more than enough odds to call your bet when you have 66. Essentially though, against this player that doesn't give you credit for having a range of hands that holds an A go ahead and toss another bet out there. At 4.5:1 he may reevaluate and give you credit for having an A or just a random pair that he would be far behind. He then could not make up the necessary bets with hitting his gutshot. I hope that was helpfull but if not what I'm trying to tell you is that he was bad for giving the initial flop call with his KJ or KQ. You could further convince him to give up his hand which may have been correct to call if he knew you had 66 but if he thought you had an A would not be.