Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Need help on my play, PT and graphs included

I've been playing online for about three months. I play $0.50/$1.00 limit, Sit 'n go's, and multitable tourneys. I'd like some help mainly with my limit play. For my first couple months of play, I could average breaking even or a little above. Recently, I'm doing so badly that I don't make money off deposit bonuses. I just did the 20% up to $500 on PP, which is almost cleared, but I've already lost $100! To me that seems to go way below normal variance, and this is where I could really use some help.

Please take a look at the info I've provided and let me know if there is any more info you need. Note: PF raise is quite low but I recently started raising AJo+ KQo ATs+ KJs+ 99+ so those numbers have been increasing.

Poker Tracker data

Poker Grapher data
[i]I hope the OP does not mind too much that I added the image of the stats post. Graphs are not as relevant, so I didn't bother.
-Greg
Old 09-05-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Need help on my play, PT and graphs included

I would read the Micro Faq at the top of the page. You will then see what it obvious. Yr preflop raise is anemic. It's needs to be over 7.5 at the least. This is what jumps out at me the most. VPIP looks okay. Went to SD seems low, but that is likely related to Went to SD. But overall, yr sample size is quite low. Also, agression factor is important, which you did not show. The variance you are experiencing is not that unusual (though 170bbs approaches warning levels), but that does not mean you are a winning player. You are likely beating the clowns at .5/1 Party, but after the rake you might be around break even, or more likely, a slight loser. There are certainly some leaks in yr game right now.

I usually don't make it a point to comment on stats posts, but since yr first time poster I thought I would chime in.

I suggest you read the FAQ and try to soak some stuff in. Welcome to the board.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:00 PM

your PFR is absurdly low.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:01 PM

What's your aggression on the flop, turn, and river?

As you mentioned, your PFR is RIDICULOUSLY low. You mention working on that part, although it still is too general to say you now raise X, Y, and Z hands. You don't want to raise all those hands from early position, for instance. Read Small Stakes Hold'Em's suggestions for tight tables for a good idea of what to raise and from what position.

From the hands you won with part... it looks like you're overplaying one pair hands. I don't know if most of those losses are small pots or large pots. And I don't know if it was something like top-pair crap kicker, middle pair, or top-pair top-kicker. Once again, I don't know enough about the specifics to comment here.

Give us some hand examples where you lost a lot of money.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:14 PM

OP posted:

[ QUOTE ]
Note: PF raise is quite low but I recently started raising AJo+ KQo ATs+ KJs+ 99+ so those numbers have been increasing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good.

Escapeplan replied:

[ QUOTE ]
You don't want to raise all those hands from early position...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. You should raise almost all those hands UTG in most .5/1 Party games. One exception might be to open limp 99 utg if you will get multiple cold callers anyhow.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP posted:

[ QUOTE ]
Note: PF raise is quite low but I recently started raising AJo+ KQo ATs+ KJs+ 99+ so those numbers have been increasing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good.

Escapeplan replied:

[ QUOTE ]
You don't want to raise all those hands from early position...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. You should raise almost all those hands UTG in most .5/1 Party games. One exception might be to open limp 99 utg if you will get multiple cold callers anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are ATs and KJs standard as well? I'm not as comfortable raising those UTG, but easily open-raising from MP1+. UTG+1 is a grey area as well.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:24 PM

Im gonna reply you like someone did reply to me when I posted something similar a few months ago.
Don't take this personally but you currently suck at poker. It seems your hand selection preflop is ok, even though you need to raise more. Your postflop play though must be really bad. You had 2 200BB downswings in just over 10k hands. This is extremely rare if you are playing good. You might wanna post in the propability forum to ask what are the chances of not one, but two (!!!) 200BB swings happening back to back. Take a break from poker. Read books start replying to hand histories here and you will improve your game in no time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 03:28 PM

I don't want to get to hung up on this question. I don't think you loose that much by not raising them, but for me they are standard EP raises at 2/4, and certainly at .5/1. I perfer an open limp with KJs and ATs than I do KQo and AJo, which need a raise IMO. I know "The Sacred SSHE Charts" may say different. I don't care. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 03:40 PM

Hello Sabs.

I was going to attempt a stat analysis, but changed my mind becaue I dont think that would be as helpful as the following advice:

1. Post hands for discussion here

This will probably help your game the most. By posting hands that you have played, other players will have the opportunity to review your play. Also by posting your suggestions to other players hand posts, you will learn from any corrections to your advice that other more experienced posters give.

This is probably a lot more helpful than stats reviews.

2. Read/study some 2+2 books.

The most well known and highly recommended of all of these for biginning to intermediated limit hold'em play is "Small Stakes Hold'Em" by Ed Miller.

He learned his game by beginning posting in these forums a few years ago, and his book is excellent.

OK that said and done I will attempt just a very brief stat analysis:

Dont play too many hands (that includes from SB). Open raise with an increasing range of hands as your position improves from early to middle to late position.

Adopt a simple preflop strategy to begin with and then concentrate on trying to improve your postflop play, through studying and posting at this forum. That approach should benefit your play the quickest.

Finally, Good Luck and Welcome to the Forums! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 03:51 PM

With all due respect, I trust the knowledge of Miller and Sklansky more than the posters here. So I wouldn't say my advice was "wrong".