Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Curtains Hand #1 (1C5)- Bubble play

If one of the other stacks were a little smaller (less than 1200), I'd probably fold and try and steal their blind. But if you fold this hand and the SB, then a push will not significantly effect any of the other stacks. So given the situation, I'd use a stop n go, since pushing gives the button nearly 2-1 odds to call.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:33 PM

Do you guys use the stop and go a lot here? I've seen a lot of calls by bigstacks with just overcards to flop lately against shorty's stop and gos. Anyone else noticed this stop-and-go "defense" being used? Anyone else make calls like that? Anyway, I hardly ever stop-and-go. Leak?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:46 PM

I always forget to use it myself. But I really don't see the point in *not* using it in this instance. You're getting called preflop if you push. You might NOT get called if you simply call preflop and then push the flop. I really don't see any advantage here by pushing preflop... unless the guy is not good and will fold getting ridiculous pot odds. A9o is too good to fold to a button min-raise given the stack sizes, but you really don't want to get called with A9o. I have to think the stop 'n go gives you more fold equity than a pre-flop push. Even if the increase in FE is only a small amount, a small amount is plenty to make it the better play.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:30 AM

I'm not sure how this thread has gone on three pages.

This should be a very obvious stop n go.
1. Your hand is too good to fold preflop
2. You want to win this pot without showing down
3. Button will call nearly 100% of the time preflop

Somebody said that seeing the flop doesn't add much FE, but it adds enough to make this the right play imo. Button is NOT folding his hand preflop, but if he misses he will often make the mistake of folding to an all-in.

I'm not sure what curtains did here, because I just read the first page and couldn't take it anymore. I'd be incredibly surprised to find he did anything other than SNG here.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:32 AM

I stopped and go'ed, I don't think its really that clear as you say...meaning the difference between the two plays is extremely minor.