Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-18-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Why did Jesus have to die?

Can all u devout catholics and christians please answer this question. It just seems like a senseless death to me. What kind of god would let his only son suffer so that the sins of man could be forgiven? How come God couldnt just open up his heart and say all those who believe will be forgiven? Why did he have do sacrafice someone for this to occur?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Why did Jesus have to die?

Do you not see the symbolism in the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus suffered on the cross?

Have you even read the Bible? I suggest you do this first before turning to an internet forum to ask such questions.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:22 PM

I went to catholic school and studied religon every year. Why should one man have to suffer so that all of man can be forgiven for their sins. If God is a just and morale go shouldnt faith alone be enough. Jesus dying on the cross is a sensless death. Maybe if his dying closed some cosmic hole to hell it would be more acceptable. But go sacrificiing his only son is just a pile of crap. Jesus would have been better off alive continuing to preach the word of God.-
Old 12-18-2005, 04:03 PM

Statements/questions such as

[ QUOTE ]
If God is a just and morale go shouldnt faith alone be enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus dying on the cross is a sensless death. Maybe if his dying closed some cosmic hole to hell it would be more acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
But go sacrificiing his only son is just a pile of crap

[/ QUOTE ]

...make me seriously question the validity of your claim to have "gone to a Catholic school and studied religion every year." Have you graduated yet?

Three other things are also clear: you have not read the Bible, you are not in any sense educated towards the words "Martyr", "Sacrifice", "Resurrection", or "Symbolism", and finally, it does not appear that you even seek an answer, but rather you are looking for some back-patting by your fellow skeptics, atheists, and otherwise rejecting malcontempts.

No short couple of sentences typed in an internet forum can come close to answering a question that theologists, scribes, and philosophers have dedicated their lives to, but if you sincerely care, then I suggest you research the following:

[ QUOTE ]
the blood of martyrs is the seed of the Church

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
'I am the good shepherd. I am willing to die for my sheep.'

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
'I am willing to give up my life in order that I may receive it back again. No-one takes my life away from me. I give it up of my own free will. I have the right to give it up, and I have the right to take it back. This is what my Father has commanded me to do .'

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
'This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
See, my servant will prosper; he will be highly exalted. Many were amazed when they saw him - beaten and bloodied, so disfigured one would scarcely know he was a person. And he will again startle many nations. Kings will stand speechless in his presence. For they will see what they had not previously been told about; they will understand what they had not heard about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-18-2005, 04:08 PM

None of the things you mention address his question of why an all powerful and good god requires a painful death on the cross in order to get people into heaven.

Just saying symbolism, martyrdom, 'my blood is the seed of the church', is not a coherent or adequate explanation. Good all powerful beings dont require human sacrafice.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:11 PM

God would presumably have known he'd be back a couple of days later anyway - so does that really constitute death?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just saying DURRRRR symbolism, martyrdom, 'my blood is the seed of the church'

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed the part where I typed "DURRRRR"

Hashi, is this the kind of back patting you were looking for? You've come to the right place.

It is a fundamental mistake in understanding the Christian faith, of which you appear to be an outsider, to wonder why "an all powerful loving God" would let "bad things happen to good people" among other things. The "why's" are important questions, but certainly are questions you must ask yourself, and merely discuss amongst peers with the knowledge that there clearly is no definitive answer, nor is it likely one will be revealed in black and white to you any time soon.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:21 PM

You still have not answered my question. The passages that you have quoted still do not answer the why. Why did he have to die in order for our sins to be forgiven. Why did he have to die for his sheep. I just dont see the reasoning. u can quote the bible all you want i was just hoping u could explain the reasoning. why would any sane father figure ask his son to needlessly die so that others could be saved. God is almighty all powerfull he could forgive everyones sins on a whim yet he asked his only son to suffer and die. please explain the reasoning behind this.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is not a coherent or adequate explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

And clearly they were not intended as adequate explanations in and of themselves, as I clearly suggested that Hashi research these historic contexts further to continue to investigate his question.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:23 PM

It's because "without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness". See, it takes blood to be forgiven, because... well... because God is a hemomaniac. He first created vampires in his image, because they like blood too. But they got out of control. And, well, that's why he created the sun to kill them. Catholics appease him by turning the wine into blood at every mass.