Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 11-15-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Royal Hold\'em strategys

I've seen the other 2 threads but they don't have very much specific strategy info.

What should we be limping pf? Raising? Does the whole "no open limping in sh" apply to this game?

Should we be raising our flopped top 2 pr knowing that we'll just have to chuck it to a river bet if we don't fill up? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Royal Hold\'em strategys

I think almost all the value in this game comes from post flop play. I play pretty tight pre flop, but the place you make your money is from people overvaluing hands post flop, especially people who don't realize they are playing with a stripped deck.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:32 AM

any specifics?

ie how good a hand is top 2 pr, of middle set, or bottom set? should these be all folded on the river if our boat doesn't come through, even against only 1 person? I'm really lost when it comes this game [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 09:51 AM

You make money in this game by understanding postflop play. I rarely raise preflop (except AA and KK or on the button against passive SB and BB). I will see many preflop raises unless I learn that the villian actually understands the game.

Royal is all about postflop understanding. You need to be able to read your opponents betting, and understand your possibilities.

Example:

You have AK preflop

Flop and turn are AKQJ rainbow. Regardless of the betting you are in excellent shape. You are probably only trailing AA. Of course if a Q or J comes on the river you are folding.

I fold more on the river than ever before - because I need a great hand to call a river bet.

Perhaps the keys are understanding your possibilites at each point and knowing when you are beat. The players I see in this game have little understanding on when they are already beat.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:52 AM

What hands you play depends on position and if you get raised but position doesn't matter as much short handed.

Your premium hands are, AA, AK, KK but limp in once in a while to mix it up. AQ and QQ are the next best hands. Then AJ, KQ and JJ repectively but position becomes more critical with those hands. Forget about suited cards or connectors, very little meaning. I find in this game you can be more passive post flop but if your raising with a premium hand being aggressive is good. If you flop a straight then check/fold even if you have AK though a lot of times top 2 pair will win. Lots of split pots in this game (usually from a straight). Anyhow if I have AK and flop TPTK and the pot is big I'm going to see the turn if not raised. I must improve to see the river. Flopping top trips is the best case and you want to push if you can get callers. Bottom set you might back off and see what happens. Top 2 pair is a good deal but you should have a good idea with the cards on the board what your chances are of at least getting a straight for a back up hand. While full houses is the hand to have it will be very obvious when your full house is not going to win and you should fold. With a straight on the board don't try to bet unless you know for sure someone will fold or if there is a royal draw on the board it might be worth a shot. Also if the board flops a set then be careful even with AA. The game does get old in a hurry and you will go on losing streaks and run into bad flops. If you know the game really well I think a 200BB BR is plenty. There is less variance in this game...so far.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:56 AM

k, thanks for all the good replys. damn, may just have to redeposit to ub and give it another go [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 05:09 PM

I don't see any use for TT or JJ:

Anything they hit is too vulnerable to be worth a tinker's damn and about the only time you'll win is the 1 in 50 or so times you hit quads.

Any hand with a J or T in it is in fact complete crap (For instance, AQ is a 57 - 43 favourite over QQ, while AJ is a 60 - 40 dog...TT is an underdog even against other hands with a T (including the lowly JT) while JJ is a dog against other every other J hand besides JT.), with the strongest ones becoming playable in shorthanded games against bad players and maniacs.

AK, interestingly, is a 60 - 40 favourite over KK, certainly due to the fact that aces make up a much higher proportion of the deck than they do in normal Hold'Em.

I don't favour raising pre-flop either: You betray the strength of your hand to the other players (Very few hands are mathematically sound to raise with in Royal Hold'em...), giving the donks less of an excuse to call you down with their underfulls and giving the strong players another way of outplaying you.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

AK, interestingly, is a 60 - 40 favourite over KK, certainly due to the fact that aces make up a much higher proportion of the deck than they do in normal Hold'Em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also because there are only two kings for KK to hit and you've killed one of them.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:43 AM

With the exception of two pair, if you flop a set you won't be folding to a river bet if you don't hit a boat because you'll have a straight and will chop the pot (not including the possibilty of royals) This doesn't mean you won't be laying down a set as underboats are very vulnerable and almost worthless (almost.) If you have two pair, no straight and the board is paired I doubt you'll ever have a read well enough to call a river bet since you will easily lose to the straight or more than likely the boat.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:17 PM

My thinking for this game is to try to play for full houses. The only time that a straight is the nuts at the river is when the straight is on the board. I might play 2 suited cards if there is no raise and I am in late position, hoping to get lucky. I would also play AK in late position if there is no raise. With the AK you want to flop top two pair and hope that you hit one of your 4 outs to make a boat. If you flop the nut straight, you can only hope that your opponents all fold to a big bet. If you get called, you have to hope that the board doesn't pair, which it will most of the time. Beyond that, you have to remember that for you to win any money from the pot the turn and river must come exactly AK to make a straight on the board, which you will split with your opponent anyway. The only time that your straight will win the whole pot is in the event that your opponent has a two pair that didn't fill up. I think that the most money in this game will come from people overplaying two pairs. I don't see this game lasting too long. It is the kind of game that will get eaten up too quickly by the sharks. The fish won't want to play anymore because they will bust too quickly. These are my preliminary thoughts on this game. Any elaboration will be appreciated, or if my thinking is wrong, please correct me.