Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: 10/10 in a raised Pot from BB $2/$4 Blinds

I would raise this preflop, folding to big re-raise. Calling is also an option, maybe even better here, depending on the aggressiveness of your opponent.

Against an aggressive opponent I would call PF, analyze the texture of the board and make a move. In this case I'd be tempted to check-call the flop and lead out half the pot or CR the turn.

Against a typical passive opponent, I put in a raise PF (about $50) and fold to a big re-raise.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:29 PM

checkminraise was disgusting.

given how you played it, this is a must call.

I 3bet this preflop and lead any flop 1/2~to fullpot depending on flop texture.

playing TT OOP sucks, more so when you check-fold to pfr when overcards flop.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:38 PM

As to the question of call or fold, I think I'd have to suck it up and make the call. I'd venture to say your hand is good a little more than 1/3 of the time.

This would be a very sneaky way for him to play a big pair, checking it through on the turn. You invited him to make a play on the pot and I think if you're gonna check this river, you have to be looking to call his bet on the end.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:31 PM

If he calls my flop bet, I would most likely bet the turn. I would certainly not bet as aggressively as on the flop, maybe something like 1/2 the pot? I think checking it to him on the turn gives him a golden opportunity to take the pot away from you. In most cases, if he's got a broadway pair he's going to raise the flop to see where he's at, right? At the very least, he's raising the turn if he's got a big one, IMO.

If you bet again on the turn, something around 1/3-1/2 the pot- and get raised, you'll know you're beaten. If he smoothcalls again, I still bet the river. Bad idea?

Someone mentioned reraising this preflop, which I think is a good idea if it's going to be HU. The fact that UTG limped would keep me from raising here, but if it was folded to the open-raiser, I would reraise.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Results, if anyone cares

I called, even though I had the feeling I was beat. The c/o's check on the turn showed me enough weakness that I thought had to call because as someone said I am probably ahead enough of the time.

The c/o had QQ, and took the pot down.

The reason I check miniraised the flop was to attempt to run out AK, or at least slow down an overpair. I knew this was a bad play right after I did it. In hindsight I think I should have lead out on the flop, and folded to a raise. With the c/r line that I took I should have made a large bet on the turn, there is a reasonable chance the villain could have folded. Oh well live and learn. This discussion was very helpful to me, thanks.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:22 AM

I don't like the flop. You are WA/WB. Why do you c/r? I would prefer c/c, lead turn.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 AM

i call. you played this hand very weak and i would make the same bet that CO made w/ A high. looks like AKs or AQs to me... but i play bad.

edit: just read the results, told ya i play bad. you both played this hand weak.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 AM

I agree the c/r was bad, I have stated that several times. Your line isn't bad though, my guess is that he would have either smooth called or raised my turn bet. Folding to a raise would be easy, but if just smooth calls, I'm still in a pretty bad situation on the river.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:06 AM

No youre not: c/f.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:08 AM

I probably would have bet on the turn after he checked. He just called your reraise on the flop.He Could have had over cards and wanted to test the waters, you just reraised the min., he probably saw that as a weak play. when he checked on the turn, if you bet, he has to put you on a pocket pair. If he doesn't have a highe pocket pair, he might fold.If he has you beat, most likely he would have reraised you.Aggression is important.