Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Default AA on Flop

Game: Absolute Poker, Blinds $1/2 with relatively deep stacks. 9-handed.

Hero UG ($435)has AA
Main Villian Late MP ($475)
Button ($76)

Preflop: Hero leads out $7, Villain miniraises to $14, Button Calls, Hero reraises to a total of $70. Villain calls, button folds. Pot$157.

Flop: QQJ 2 diamnonds, hero checks with intention of check raising, Villain pushes all in, which would cost hero $365. Only 2nd orbit of playing with Villain, so no real read,though this game generally plays somewhat weak tight in general. Call or Fold? Should I have led, if so how much?
Old 07-11-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: AA on Flop

wow. thats deep stacked.

I think if you are going to play this deep stacked, your preflop reraise should be double what it was.

as it stands, I would have probably lead the flop for 100 just to discourage a push from a hand I beat.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:58 PM

call and split the pot with AA or beat KK. you checked to induce a bluff, you got your wish, you have to call here. If he called that bet with anything other than AA or KK it's QQ and if he flopped quads, I guess i'd pay it off.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:04 PM

Raise to $140? I think that is a bit too much. My thinking on my initial open of $7, was to get a re-raise from 10-kk, and AK, and re-raise, which I did. My re-raise was for more than the pot. I thought that would narrow the range of hands to AA-QQ, and maybe AK.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:05 PM

No I did not have the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 02:05 PM

ohhh whoops, i didn't see the part about you having no read on villian. this is a tricky hand...i could see a smart villian playing AQ like this, or maybe even JJ if he has you on AA/KK. if you have no read on villian, then this probably means that he has no read on you; so why would he think that he can bluff you off of your hand? i feel like you're behind here.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:15 PM

I assume AA and KK are the only hands you do this move preflop with.

If I'm going to telegraph my hand preflop with a 3 bet and I feel that I am not going to fold on the flop regardless, then I definitely get more in the pot preflop.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:20 PM

3-bet all-in preflop

EDIT: here are my reasons
- you have to raise to shake off the cold-caller
- a 3-bet gives away your hand, so you might as well get full value
- it makes his decision basically whether he believes you have AA or not, rather than letting him outflop or outplay you later.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ohhh whoops, i didn't see the part about you having no read on villian. this is a tricky hand...i could see a smart villian playing AQ like this, or maybe even JJ if he has you on AA/KK. if you have no read on villian, then this probably means that he has no read on you; so why would he think that he can bluff you off of your hand? i feel like you're behind here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though some play AQ here, I don't think a smart villain would be play AQ like this, but this villain may not be smart. This is one of the few flops that would hit AQ. The hand that concerned me the most was JJ.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:28 PM

Yeah, i meant "smart" more as in a "thinking player." although others might disagree, i like this play from villian if he has AQ/JJ; i think it's smart if he has you on AA/KK. I agree that JJ is definately a concern.