FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Your action
Fold 16 47.06%
Call 10 29.41%
Raise 0 0%
Kick the dog 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Re: You\'re starting an NFL franchise...

[ QUOTE ]
We'll talk agin after the AFC champ game when peyton throws another 4 picks like last year

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think that the Colts will beat the Patriots in the second round before losing to the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game? That is a bold prediction. Personally I think that the Patriots will be the team losing to the Steelers.

Rick Diesel
Old 11-30-2004, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are probably a red sox fan who would argue that intangibles don't matter when a Yankees fan says that Jeter is a great shortstop. Brady was handed with a team and has made the most of it. If you think he is a great quarterback that you could build a team around you are wearing rose colored glasses. How did he do the year between the super bowl wins??? He "tucked" his team away that year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Au Contrare. Players like Jeter and Brady are the ones I want on my team, they're winners.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:19 PM

Is Jeter a winner or a good player who has been on great teams?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:38 PM

All of the above.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'll talk agin after the AFC champ game when peyton throws another 4 picks like last year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you think that the Colts will beat the Patriots in the second round before losing to the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game? That is a bold prediction. Personally I think that the Patriots will be the team losing to the Steelers.

Rick Diesel

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming these two do make it to the conference championship game I think home field is huge. In Pittsburgh the Steelers have a pretty good chance of winning. But I don't think they beat the Patriots in Foxboro.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:01 PM

I would rather have Brady because he wins. Also, INTs is a misleading statistic. If Brady throws a bomb and it is picked off at the opponent's 10 yard line, that's not as bad as throwing an INT at your own 10. Brady doesn't make as many "mistakes" as Manning although he has thrown an equal amount of INTs. Teams also seem to do better when they don't have that one dominant player, i.e. Texas Rangers without Arod; Seattle Mariners of the late '90s minus Randy, Griffey and Arod; Even Tennessee without Manning (year later they win the NC). There are fewer examples of the most dominant player in the game winning the title (Jordan is all I can think of). I don't know why this happens, but it does so I will stick with it.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather have Brady because he wins.

[/ QUOTE ] his team wins
[ QUOTE ]
Also, INTs is a misleading statistic. If Brady throws a bomb and it is picked off at the opponent's 10 yard line, that's not as bad as throwing an INT at your own 10

[/ QUOTE ] Brady usually doesn't bomb the ball, I think your example probably fits Manning more, imo.

[ QUOTE ]
Teams also seem to do better when they don't have that one dominant player. There are fewer examples of the most dominant player in the game winning the title (Jordan is all I can think of).

[/ QUOTE ] You will probably only find examples in Basketball, because it is really the only sport in which one player can carry a whole team (A.I. is an example, the year Philly lost to L.A. 4-1). Football teams never win because of one player, nor do baseball teams. For how good a player Bonds is, or Ted Williams was, they simply did not play on good enough teams to win it(Bonds almost won though). Montana was on good teams, Elway(later in his career) was on good teams, Favre was on good teams, Marino was not on good teams. The closest example I can think of a one player carrying a team is RJ in 2001 with Arizona, except he also had Curt, so I suppose I could say that they both carried that team.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:50 PM

As there are no stats to support Brady (at least not this year or last) in this discussion his supporters turn to the "winner" element. I guess this means Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are better QB's than Manning. As for Manning having to carry the load with Indy they had nothing but Harrison and a gimpy Faulk when Manning was drafted. The line was awful as was the defense. He's been the main guy since he was drafted and the load CLEARLY falls on his shoulders. That defense is still awful. Manning knows if he makes any mistakes they lose the game. Brady has a heck of a lot more room to work with in NE. Brady is the right guy at the right time for the Pats. Manning is a far superior football player.

As for ARod, are you prepared to eat those words when he wins 4 or 5 titles before he retires? The Rangers did a nice job getting Soriano but they are still a long way from a top team. Randy left Seattle and was a WS MVP. I don't recall the Mariners winning a WS since then. Football and baseball are much less likely to have one star carry the team to a title as you need at a minimum 25 bodies in football and 17 plus in baseball to suceed. ARod will win in NY because they have good players around him. Johnson won in Arizona because he had another great pitcher and a solid team to back him up.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather have Brady because he wins. Also, INTs is a misleading statistic. If Brady throws a bomb and it is picked off at the opponent's 10 yard line, that's not as bad as throwing an INT at your own 10. Brady doesn't make as many "mistakes" as Manning although he has thrown an equal amount of INTs. [ QUOTE ]

Right, so throwing that interception in the red zone in the super bowl last year, really wasn't a mistake. I got it.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:25 AM

So if Brady really is a better QB if you put him in Indy they'd win more games then with Manning, right?