Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Miers\' qualification

Ah, blind faith that the powers that be would NEVER do anything that wasnt in the best interest of the people. Forgive me if this seems dumb, but I dont want a stealth anything in the government, especially the courts. All the supreme court canidates should be completely transpartent.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Miers is correctly classified "insufficient data to determine her ability." Bush and his close aides know her true talents, your TV and law school "legal experts" are in the dark. They can not honestly say she is not in the top 100 legal minds, because they just Don't Know!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush has given me no reason to trust his judgment in this regard. The fact that she has failed to significantly distinguish herself in her profession to such a degree that "law shool 'legal experts'" do not consider her a quality contender is significant.

[ QUOTE ]
We can wring our hands at our lack of information, or we can just wait and see if Bush and his top aides have made a good choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or we can tell our congressmen to confirm only on good information, not on blind faith.

While the president gets to nominate, Congress has a duty in this process as well.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
astute legal commentator

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 10:00 PM

The point, in my opinion, is not that she's not unqualified. It's that there are so many other attorneys in this country that are more qualified.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:39 AM

"As the Rude Pundit (warning: NSFW, so very NSFW) said about John Roberts, George Bush (and Rove, Cheney, et al) knows exactly who Harriet Miers is in nominating her for the Supreme Court. He knows how she's gonna vote on every issue that comes before the court that actually matters to him. Jesus, she was right there for half the cases that she would be asked to decide on, from the torture policy to third-trimester abortions to the Patriot Act to releases of documents to assisted suicide. To not believe that Bush knows is to be played for a fool once again."
Old 10-05-2005, 12:44 AM

Wow. Exactly what great things has the Bush administration done that has earned your faith, especially when it comes to nominations? John Bolton, anyone? As soon as anyone, Dem or Repub, fathoms the idea of nominating someone that basically hates the UN to the position of [censored] UNITED NATIONS AMBASSADOR I would immediately cast doubt on any nomination for any position, especially 'stealth' nominations.
[ QUOTE ]
We can wring our hands at our lack of information, or we can just wait and see if Bush and his top aides have made a good choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. Waiting and seeing if Bush and his aides have made the right choice has worked out SOOOOO many times that we should do it again when the decision may change the complete makeup and character of the Supreme Court for god knows how long.

There's a reason Bush's approval ratings are in the high thirties.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:53 AM

but Clinton is a liar.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:58 AM

You have to understand that Bush is good at getting the type of person he wants in jobs.

Bush wanted Bolton, he was the right person for what Bush wanted to do with the UN. You may not like him, but his standing behind Bolton just shows that he will not be denied in treating the UN the way he wants it treated.

We have to put our own opinions aside, and look at this from Bush's point of view.

He has shown through his lower court appointments what he wants on the courts. I know enough of Bush to conclude therefore that Miers was not a mistake, not a quick decision.

She is qualified, despite the spin out there, and Bush knows what he is doing with appointments. Therefore, I am confident he has got it right, even though I was initially surprised about this pick.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to understand that Bush is good at getting the type of person he wants in jobs.

Bush wanted Bolton, he was the right person for what Bush wanted to do with the UN. You may not like him, but his standing behind Bolton just shows that he will not be denied in treating the UN the way he wants it treated.

We have to put our own opinions aside, and look at this from Bush's point of view.

He has shown through his lower court appointments what he wants on the courts. I know enough of Bush to conclude therefore that Miers was not a mistake, not a quick decision.

She is qualified, despite the spin out there, and Bush knows what he is doing with appointments. Therefore, I am confident he has got it right, even though I was initially surprised about this pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. In Bush We Trust.

Frank
Old 10-05-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol. In Bush We Trust.

[/ QUOTE ]

A SCOTUS pick is not made for the benefit of those who hate Bush. They disagree with what he wants to accomplish anyway.

You opinion is irrelevant as far as his pick goes. But among those who share his basic goals, he has shown himself to be able to pick the right people to advance those goals.