Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: why did you choose fixed limit shorthanded?

Because this is where all the cool kids hang out.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:46 PM

Because, in a nutshell, I don't have the balls for NL. 50BB swings in 1 hand are too much for. Getting raised the pot when I have TPTK is almost impossible for me to know what to do. Is it really worth the rest of my stack to see the showdown with just top pair? If I fold, I'll be bluffed off of pots right and left.

Limit seems like a better game to me. Moves have to be more subtle as you're working on small EV lines. Just the fact that limit robots are harder to write that NL bots helps back up the fact that limit is a harder game to master.

At least, for people like me that lack the stomach for NL, that's what I tell myself.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:52 PM

I was wondering the same thing as i still suck at poker but whenever i go play NL i really do get bored id much rahter be able to 3 bet a lag all day long... So which is more profitable for an hourly rate and how do you compare differnet nl stakes to limit stakes like what is "equal"
Old 09-19-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what makes you want to learn the other games? As you said, hard to give up the cash.
You do it just so you wont get bored or because +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because learning the other games will make me better at all games.

Because it will allow me to change it up when I do get bored or frustrated.

Because it gives me game selection, which is not very important on the net but is more important live.

Because I aspire to play limits of 100/200+ and games this high are often mixed and even if they aren't sometimes they are not holdem (when I was at the WSOP the biggest games was 100/200 stud hi-lo that I could see).

Because some of those games may be more +EV, but I won't know until I play them.

Most importantly... because it would make poker more fun.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
playing NL is like watching paint dry.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a lot more interesting shorthanded. I also find ten-handed NL tedious, but four-handed, you get to be involved in a lot of interesting situations like in shorthanded limit.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't help thinking there is a possibility I made the wrong choice on FL instead of NL

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on. It's not too late to play a lot of NL and decide for yourself whether it is the better game for you. You'll get a much better sense which is for you by spending time playing both than by asking other people which they perfer.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:43 PM

I prefer limit to no limit mainly because it's what I started to play first. I also hated the idea of potentially losing everything in your stack in one hand. Waaaay back when I was still messing around on limit play money tables, I played exclusively at short handed tables because I got sick of waiting for cards at a full table. Once I started playing seriously, I discovered I played much better at a full table, so since I like money I learned to prefer full tables. Then a few months ago, I realized I couldn't profit much more playing full tables online if I wanted to go past 3-6, so I made the jump to 5-10 SH. Now that I'm used to limit SH play, I'm completely hooked. It's loads more fun and there's so much more variety in situations I come across. Full tables typically bore me now (though I appreciate my improved play at them from playing so much SH).
Old 09-19-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shorthanded teaches you to play alot stronger and more aggressively, this is a trait I didnt have when I was a fullhanded player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, $1/$2 SH LHE is a sweet spot for Party/Paradise bonii.
When I'm ready, $2/$4 SH LHE is a sweet spot for the UB/Stars/InterPoker bonii.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
playing NL is like watching paint dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said:

http://tinyurl.com/bq8w9
Old 09-19-2005, 08:32 PM

I wish I'd picked 7cardstud hi-lo or PLO...actually the reason i'm here is one day i stumbled on a post which said vehn was a limit holdem god and apparently he played alot of SH Holdem.