Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Funny story, with a question regarding a stone cold bluff

B&M, Blinds $2/$5 ($200 capped buy in)
Hero on button with 5-6o with $200
6 limpers including villain in the BB who has me covered.

To set the scene, I have only played a couple of orbits, and I didn't know the villian too well.

Everyone limps, I call on the button to see the flop

Flop: 1082r - It is checked to me, I take a stab at it and bet $30. BB calls me everyone else folds.
Turn K - BB checks, I didn't think the BB had much so I stone cold bluff bet a $100. BB calls

At this point I pretty much think I am done with my 6 high, no draw and only $40 left.

River is a 4. BB thinks for a few minutes, and says take it, my hand no good. Hands the $300 pot to me without even making me bet my last $40, which I am not sure I would have because I didn't think she would fold at this point. I am guessing she had a J9 or something. I posted this mostly for the comedy, but there are couple things to take from this.
1. Don't muck your hand for free. (should be obvious).
2. If your on a stone cold bluff, it is probably a good idea to leave a little left to bluff with on the river, and bet it no matter how hopeless it seems. Most people would probably fold the Jack high missed draw even for $40.
3. Oh yeah, don't bluff with 6 high very often.

You can comment on the hand if you want, and if say I played the hand poorly and got lucky I will agree. The question I have is do you agree that if you are attempting a move like this, do you agree that you need to have enough to fire a final barrel on the river?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Funny story, with a question regarding a stone cold bluff

Sometimes i just dont wanna let a pot go, so i will make sure i have enuf or villain has enuf so i have decent fold equity on the river.
But yea, i like enuf to fire a barrel on every street.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:12 AM

I hope you showed it. Nothing better than showing a player you're playing the board. Had 35s in a hand where I raised preflop. I bet the flop pretty hard and got a pretty instant call. I thought for 5-6 seconds on the turn, and checked it only to see an instacheck. I was ready to give up on this pot as there was a K and Q on the board and I was playing the board on the river. Bet $4 at the river and villain's hand was folded instantly. I'm sure he wasn't happy to see me show I played the board.

EDIT: Forgot to mention 2/4NL bet $4 into about a $110 pot.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:18 AM

in my opinon, this is very dumb, espically in a limp pot, the player could have had anything.

Also it doesnt sound much like you've got a good read on the villan.

Also, what possible hand could the villan be drawing to on that flop? If you put him on a draw?

And furthermore, what hand didyou want him to think you had? That's a lot of action on such a raggety board.

Abritrarily betting big doesnt necessarily consititute a "stone cold bluff"(which i think is the dumbest term).

Put your opponent on a specific hand, and if he could fold then take it from him.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 AM

Hi vic,

Chill out.

[ QUOTE ]
Abritrarily betting big doesnt necessarily consititute a "stone cold bluff"(which i think is the dumbest term).

[/ QUOTE ]

We're happy for you, but you seem to misunderstand the term. I think you must think it means, "great bluff," but it actually means, "pure bluff," as in, no other way to win the pot. So this absolutely was a "stone cold bluff". Was it a good one? Probably not, but I like his game selection.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 AM

In my post above I stated I didn't play this well, but she did play the hand like someone on a draw would play it. My thinking at the time was she should lay down a draw for a $100 bet (she should have), but you are correct without a better read I should have checked the turn or not even have bet the flop.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:55 PM

I wasnt calling the poster dumb, i just think that term is really dumb.

The main thing about this particular hand is that it doesnt seem like a very good bluffing situation, its a raggety board that just wouldnt really scare me espically with how hard you bet it.

what i was trying to say in the earlier post is that bluffing isnt just throwing chips at a pot, take time to set up plays. Figure out what kind of hands your oppenent plays, what they're capable of folding, what they'll call down with what kind of bets scare them, what kind of bets will induce a call, if they'll play big hands like they were a draw to induce you to bet, and most importantly, what does this player think of you and how you're playing, what hands have they seen you show down, and what hands are they capable of thinking you're holding?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:00 PM

Where was this?