Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 11:38 PM

Default I make a straight and choose not to raise

Villians is 21/11/1.8 after about 100 hands.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.66 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.83 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.83 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.83 BB

Just for discussion because I really suck, I planned on calling the flop and raising a safe turn (ok?). And then on the turn I wanted to fold the river UI (right?).
Old 08-19-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: I make a straight and choose not to raise

[ QUOTE ]
Just for discussion because I really suck, I planned on calling the flop and raising a safe turn (ok?). And then on the turn I wanted to fold the river UI (right?).

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not folding my overpair heads up on the river unimproved. While his flop CR could be a draw, it could also be A7 or A8.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not folding my overpair heads up on the river unimproved. While his flop CR could be a draw, it could also be A7 or A8.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats true. I only have to be good 12% of the time. That's just a hella ugly board.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:16 AM

I'd raise. True a flush looks likely here but he's paying off with everything else since there is the straight on the board. Also his flop play seems inconsistent with QJ, unless it was of clubs and you have the Jc so there is no way you're out-straighted. I think villain has a set here.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise. True a flush looks likely here but he's paying off with everything else since there is the straight on the board. Also his flop play seems inconsistent with QJ, unless it was of clubs and you have the Jc so there is no way you're out-straighted. I think villain has a set here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-20-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think villain has a set here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell would a sane villain bet this river without a J-high straight or better? I just call.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think villain has a set here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell would a sane villain bet this river without a J-high straight or better? I just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he expects your cards to be higher than a jack and figures you'll still call with an overpair. Wrong play of course but not insane.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because he expects your cards to be higher than a jack and figures you'll still call with an overpair. Wrong play of course but not insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, did you misread the board? T-6 straight on board.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:34 PM

[quote

Hmmm, did you misread the board? T-6 straight on board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, ah. Ahem. Well, yes. Hrrrumph, uh, yes. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:44 AM

That's exactly why he would bet it, to try and move you off anything. I still think he has a set and is just frustrated that the straight came, he has no reason to peg you for a jack so he is just hoping to scoop the whole pot.