Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-22-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Cold calling preflop

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree that KQo and AJo are good cold calls in the SB. I much prefer to 3bet and drive out the BB. These hands prefer HU action. I agree about the good drawing hands, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an EP/MP raiser I'd usually coldcall with these rather than 3-bet as well. I think the BB is usually drawing thin here (often with a dominated hand) between the two of us and I'd prefer not to give the EP/MP raiser a chance to cap. A third player in tends to keep the preflop raiser honest as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:05 PM

I'll coldcall an ep raiser with JTs, QTs, T9s, and 89s. (especially if I'm next to act)

I'll coldcall in lp with 44-88 after two other coldcallers (or after just one if the sb and bb have vpips over 50).

I'll just call a raise from the bb if I'm already HU with a hand I want to play that isnt AA-JJ,AK,AQ,or KQ.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree that KQo and AJo are good cold calls in the SB. I much prefer to 3bet and drive out the BB. These hands prefer HU action. I agree about the good drawing hands, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an EP/MP raiser I'd usually coldcall with these rather than 3-bet as well. I think the BB is usually drawing thin here (often with a dominated hand) between the two of us and I'd prefer not to give the EP/MP raiser a chance to cap. A third player in tends to keep the preflop raiser honest as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, I mean in the SB.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

I'm never the first to cc, but i will with pairs after one other ccer (and non-tight blinds) or with QJs/ J10s, and some others after two or one and v. loose blinds). Also, if there's a maniac and one idiot cold-caller (which has come up a lot lately [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]), i try to enter the pot with a wide range of hands, and 3-bet the better ones, but just cc with the worse ones.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it ever right? i've gotten the impression it isn't. but it could be used profitably for deception purposes?

say for example i'm at a somewhat passive preflop table and UTG raises, i just call with AA-QQ perhaps and everyone else calls. but if i were to raise they would mostly fold.

obviously in late position raising is best to trap bets but what about early on?

[/ QUOTE ]

There aren't many positions that you want to play QQ--->AA with more callers.

True
Old 12-22-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is it ever right? i've gotten the impression it isn't. but it could be used profitably for deception purposes?

say for example i'm at a somewhat passive preflop table and UTG raises, i just call with AA-QQ perhaps and everyone else calls. but if i were to raise they would mostly fold.

obviously in late position raising is best to trap bets but what about early on?

[/ QUOTE ]

There aren't many positions that you want to play QQ--->AA with more callers.

True

[/ QUOTE ]

I want everyone to call or raise when I have AA-QQ or even AK. Though it's still a raise because you're missing out on a lot of value by just calling.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:24 PM

AA-QQ is good no matter how many callers.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AA-QQ is good no matter how many callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

more callers lowers your equity and raises your variance. If you can stand a ton of variance (not tilt one bit), then you should try and play AA multiway every time.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:18 PM

any time you have more callers you have less equity, so should i not prefer to have any hands multiway?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any time you have more callers you have less equity, so should i not prefer to have any hands multiway?

[/ QUOTE ]

no