Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Re: best films of the year

I just came back from Brokeback, and it's the best movie I've seen so far this year. Gorgeous, poignant, and heartbreaking.

Rounding out my top five are, in order of goodness, The Constant Gardener, King Kong, Syriana, and The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

Will
Old 12-21-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even Batman and King Kong, two of my favorites this year, aren't perfect, four-star movies IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to chime in about Batman because I'm a huge Batman homer. When I first saw Batman Begins, the whole time I was saying to myself: "WOW!" I actually saw it multiple times and each time, the crowd stood up clapping at the end of the movie. I haven't seen somethign like that in a long time and from the people I talk to at other forums I frequent, they experienced the same thing.

Now to critique the movie from an objective point of view, I'd say the first 2/3 of the movie were flawless especially the first bit. The character development was just really strong as we journey through the agony and pain with Bruce. Bale does a brilliant job at portraying realistic emotions (ie at the court scene when he's about to shoot chill). The early scenes with Batman were stellar as well. The interrogation scene with Flass was brilliantly done.

Now where does this movie start to tank from an objective point of view? Well as soon as the car chase scene happens. Don't get me wrong, I loved the tumbler as it's more realistic than any previous Batmobiles, but from that point on, the movie just follows a Hollywood explosion type movie. The microwave emitter was a plot hole in itself. I mean, things like this are fine if you're looking for a brainless, summer action movie, but the first 2/3 of the movie was so perfect to end like this.

The ending at the end couldn't have been any better though.

But I agree with you. The film wasn't perfect because of the last 1/3 of the film. It's a real shame

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is spot-on about Batman Begins. This is one scary batman - you'd cak your pants if you met him on a dark night, for sure. If it had maintained the quality after the chase (the chase was fine IMHO as a counterpoint to the rest), it would be in the top 50 of films ever made, I'd suggest. Even with this failing though, I'd say it's the best superhero movie made so far (and that's stiff competition with Spidey 2 and X-Men barking at its heels).

Oh, and I'd say both Wedding Crashers and 50-year old virgin are both fine comedies.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:21 AM

The Machinist was one of my top 10 of the year.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:33 AM

I saw Batman Begins on opening night, and I couldn't have had a better movie experience. Normally I hate going to see movies when they first open because it's usually a room full of jackasses. But the midnight showing of Batman was full of consciousness movie go-ers who all loved Batman. And the end, oh boy the end! Everyone clapped. The film was so well done. Casting was great. One of the best movie experiences I've ever had.

I've loved Batman since I was little, so Batman Begins is top 5 of the year for me.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:34 AM

I don't get to the movies much anymore... I see no mention of Jarhead. Anybody?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not out in the UK yet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I have to admit I was meh about it, but saw a trailer for it before King Kong, and it's now on my 'must see' list (haven't read any reviews yet - I don't trust yank reviewers, and waiting for Mark Kermode and a coupla other UK reviewers to give me the heads up before I decide for sure to go see at the cinema though)
Old 12-21-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw it and I was disappointed. Wait for rental.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:31 AM

Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, and Serenity are easily my favorites of the year. I have yet to see Crash or King Kong, but expect them to be up there.

Film that had me sitting there shaking my head throughout muttering "oh God George what have you done" was....
Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Crash= Absolute Rubbish.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The Machinist was one of my top 10 of 2004

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-21-2005, 07:58 AM

Not a great year for movies, but some notables (i haven't seen Syriana or King Kong yet).

notables:

Crash
Capote
Sin City
The Constant Gardener
Broken Flowers
Junebug
Walk the line

Best overall: Crash