Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: DON\'T KILL TOOKIE

Media witnesses recount that Tookie was annoyed at the length of time it took for the cocktail to work. His true (as opposed to official) last words: You sure you're doin' that right?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a California taxpayer, and I don't care to subsidize one more day of food for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

And do you not have a problem with subsidizing food for innumerable pimps, drug dealers, rapists, child molesters, murderers who weren't sentenced to death, etc., or do you simply think that all criminals should be executed?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am a California taxpayer, and I don't care to subsidize one more day of food for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

And do you not have a problem with subsidizing food for innumerable pimps, drug dealers, rapists, child molesters, murderers who weren't sentenced to death, etc., or do you simply think that all criminals should be executed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that his death was more expensive to the state than keeping him alive.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:00 AM

Winner!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I don't know what this threads about, but I'm guessing some murderous scum is up for a death sentence."

Correct. Tookie Williams is the co-founder of the Crips, one of the largest gangs in the US. Besides the people he killed, he is indirectly responsible for the lost lives of thousands through gang violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if that were simply the case, then this wouldn't be as big of an issue as it is. The problem is that while in prison, Tookie has reformed and devoted his life to speaking out against gang violence. Since his work has been very good and very effective, many people feel that he's better off alive and working to end gang violence than dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be the reason everyone is seeing his case in the news. The real issue is that the death penalty is [censored] up and is just plain wrong.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:01 AM

Case by case basis.

I think Tookie should have been executed a long time ago.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that his death was more expensive to the state than keeping him alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Liberals always trot this statement out to back up their opposition to the death penalty.

In fact, while the up front costs of a death penalty trial are higher, the execution saves the state many thousands of dollars in the long run. Particularly in view of the high per day cost of geriatric inmates.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:07 AM

For what it's worth, I watched the coverage of the vigil outside the gates of San Quentin very carefully; and I did not see one black face there.

Looks like Oakland didn't care as much about Tookie as Berkeley did.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Liberals always trot this statement out to back up their opposition to the death penalty.

In fact, while the up front costs of a death penalty trial are higher, the execution saves the state many thousands of dollars in the long run. Particularly in view of the high per day cost of geriatric inmates.

[/ QUOTE ]

A. I support the death penalty.
B. You're wrong. http://www.amnestyusa.org/abolish/cost.html

You can pop out your own stats if you feel the bias is too strong or whatever.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:12 AM

Edward Charles Allaway killed 7 people in a university library and is currently living in a psychiatric hospital paid for by your tax dollars, and yet I don't see the same indignation from you, even though his care is likely cost the state considerably more than Tookie did.