Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: 100% standard AJ raptor hand from sb.. in the 55s at least..

against that mini bet I would probably checkraise the flop. You're usually ahead here, and $55 donkeys are still calling a checkraise with hands a lot weaker than AJ here.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:02 PM

I check-call small/moderate bets the whole way as my default. Anything around a pot-sized bet, and I'll dump it. In raptor's hand, I call, then call another 120 or so on the river.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand. If you just refuse to play AJ then fold it pre-flop. If you can't play it with this flop what the hell are you doing in the hand. You've clearly decided that villian has an AK,AQ,set or 2 pair and carefully eliminated all other possibilities through some unknown power. Insight into the use of this power would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love it when people who have earned zero respect from me and have likely playedl ess than 500 sngs try to berate me instead of calmly asking questions.

ANYWAYS.. everyone seems very slow to grasp the fact that i never said i was sure i was beat. thats not the point is it? the point is, the risk reward ratio to gain those chips in there isnt worth it with this marginal holding. period. keep arguin tho i like it. holla
Old 08-09-2005, 05:03 PM

When you are playing short-stack poker (like a SNG), you are best served by getting chips into the pot whenever you rate to almost certainly have the best hand.

You played this hand like a little sissy on every street.

Irieguy

PS- The strategy trend on this forum seems to have evolved to the point where most people would advocate checking the BB with hands as strong as AK and folding top pair through levels 1-3, so that you are still alive to be in a position where you are forced to open push with 10-8s 5-handed with 5 BBs. I think this type of approach to SNGs worked much better a year or so ago... and even then it still wasn't as good as extracting maximum value at every level.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
against that mini bet I would probably checkraise the flop. You're usually ahead here, and $55 donkeys are still calling a checkraise with hands a lot weaker than AJ here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like this line the least. ill give ya a minute to try to figure out why. open yer mind for just a minute, think broadly, think openly, and you will become better. AJ is the most enlightening hand in poker. holla
Old 08-09-2005, 05:05 PM

I see two viable strategies here.

1. Raise preflop and see if the limpers will fold. Nobody is showing any strength. Hell I think I've seen some aggressive maniac on this forum suggest moving all in when people limp to him on the small blind. If you get a caller or two, at least you've taken control of the betting.

2. Lead out with a probe bet on the flop. Often that will win it right there. If you get called, then check the turn unless it helps you. If you are raised then throw it away.

Your line seems way too passive.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand. If you just refuse to play AJ then fold it pre-flop. If you can't play it with this flop what the hell are you doing in the hand. You've clearly decided that villian has an AK,AQ,set or 2 pair and carefully eliminated all other possibilities through some unknown power. Insight into the use of this power would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love it when people who have earned zero respect from me and have likely playedl ess than 500 sngs try to berate me instead of calmly asking questions.

ANYWAYS.. everyone seems very slow to grasp the fact that i never said i was sure i was beat. thats not the point is it? the point is, the risk reward ratio to gain those chips in there isnt worth it with this marginal holding. question mark. keep arguin tho i like it. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp, at least, imho.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:08 PM

Here's my thoughts rap:

PF: Fine
Flop: C/C or C/R, either works for me. I prefer the latter because I hate min bets and I don't like the SD but either is fine.
Turn: Are you that scared of A8 or A9 or am I missing something? Any ace plays it the same way and you're beating most of them. The pot's not going to get huge all of a sudden, I just check call the whole thing down.

[ QUOTE ]
love it when people who have earned zero respect from me and have likely playedl ess than 500 sngs try to berate me instead of calmly asking questions.

ANYWAYS.. everyone seems very slow to grasp the fact that i never said i was sure i was beat. thats not the point is it? the point is, the risk reward ratio to gain those chips in there isnt worth it with this marginal holding. period. keep arguin tho i like it. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the concept alot. In this case, the turn was about as safe as you could hope for, so I can see calling. But I really agree with the strategy of letting go of marginal holdings early even though I'm sure that I'm letting go of some winners.

The bubble play in SNGs is so poor and every chip lost early erodes FE. Plus, I look at it like every chip lost now is really like losing 2 chips when I double up later.

[ QUOTE ]
When you are playing short-stack poker (like a SNG), you are best served by getting chips into the pot whenever you rate to almost certainly have the best hand.

You played this hand like a little sissy on every street.

Irieguy

PS- The strategy trend on this forum seems to have evolved to the point where most people would advocate checking the BB with hands as strong as AK and folding top pair through levels 1-3, so that you are still alive to be in a position where you are forced to open push with 10-8s 5-handed with 5 BBs. I think this type of approach to SNGs worked much better a year or so ago... and even then it still wasn't as good as extracting maximum value at every level.

[/ QUOTE ]

irie get on aim im about to tear u a new one. holla