Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability

Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Math Degrees and Careers

What undergraduate or graduate degrees require the most competence in math? Can you name at least your opinion for the top five?

What jobs require the highest competence in math?

If you were to look for a field in which you can find the most top notch mathematicians, where would they be?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Math Degrees and Careers

as far as undergrad degrees...

1. Mathematics
2. Physics
3. Applied Mathematics
(in the sense of skill, not knowledge) 4. computer science
(very distant) 5. economics

as for jobs... I'd be interested to know...
Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 AM

I'm not sure how much sense it makes to classify applied math differently from math, but I think that list is about right. As far as at the graduate level, economics probably makes more use of math and requires a higher level of competence than computer science. For jobs, I'd say that outside of academia most jobs don't require that much real facility with any kind of advanced math. It's not exactly like abelian groups have a lot of applications in the corporate world.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 AM

Undergrad: Physics, EE, Math, Aerospace Engr, Nuclear Engineering, Astrophysics, Meteorology.

Grad: Math, Physics, Control Systems, Elec Engr., Economics, Psychometrics, Operations Research, Astronomy, Mech E (Computational Fluid Dynamics), Aerospace Engr, Meteorology, Statistics, Astrophysics.

Careers: Academia, NSA, Finite Element Analysis, Stock Markets, Risk Analysis, Insurance, Algorithm Development, Systems Engineering, Elec Engr, Aero Engr, Satellite Engr, Credit Card Companies, Patent Law, Poker Player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Usually the best computer programmers know a lot of math, but they don't use it extensively unless they work for an engineering firm.

Computer Graphics used to require a lot of math: fractals, geometry, hidden line removal, .... Maybe it still does.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:28 PM

It makes plenty of sense to differ the two. I know a lot of people who can do applied and stare blankly at pure math.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:37 PM

Looks like most have been covered; the thing about Economics and Comp Sci is that there is a huge disconnect between undergrad and grad. As undergrad majors, they are more broad in preparing people for a wide range of possible jobs. At the grad level, those fields become relatively much more rigorous, and require much more math. If you plan a grad career in those fields, try to take some more math: assuming you have already maxed out calculus, consider real analysis, discrete math, linear programming. I also would rank economics ahead of comp sci in terms of math; econ certainly involves a broader range of math topics.

I am surprised no one mentioned Finance. Maybe you want to put that with Economics, but I wouldn't.

alThor
Old 12-21-2005, 04:09 PM

I'd add in actuary.
Which I would look into. One of my best friends is one. He and I are probably the two best math people I know...well, since high school, but they were all geniuses.
I wish I had known about the actuarial field as I would have done it. He loves what he does and makes great money.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:53 PM

What level of mathmatics are required for economics at the graduate level? I am currently an undergrad getting a major in actuarial science and economics, and plan on going to grad school to get a PhD in economics and become a college professor. I have had linear algebra, calculus 1-3, and will be taking introduction to annalysis at the college level. I have also taken several graduate level statistics classes because of the actuarial science major.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:30 PM

Yeah, I have my Bachelor's in Comp Sci, and my minor was Math. Why? Well, you had to take so much math for the Comp Sci, you only needed two more math courses for a minor.

Math ability is one of the most useful skills to have. Problem-solving tool supreme.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:32 PM

Don't worry. After linear algebra, anything you aren't trying to postulate your own theorems for will be easy!