Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Pot odds say call...I fold it

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I agree that Hero should have tried to avoid putting himself in this position. It is a much easier call with more chips.

However, while a SNG (or a set of 1000 sng's) and poker in general is about a long series of decision that add up to an eventuality it is moreso about each individual decision you are making. Yes, it would have been nice if he had more chips to make this an easier call but it is still a call unless villain is the worse player in history.

I call here 100% of the time even if I know villain is awful and is waiting for some random ace or king high to push. Then again I suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont focus too much on my assertion that I shouldnt be this low on chips to begin with. If the table is such that I think I have one easy steal in the next orbit, Ill fold this...but I have to estimate that probablility at 75% or so to fold this hand.

I would not call this 100% of the time, but i'd say a great majority of the time is about right. Being a rigid player is something I am trying to get away from and if it means passing up +EV plays on the curve, then Ill do it. Honestly, if I am reading this table as an ABC type table (IOW, not shifting gears well on bubble) I could fold this.

Dont mistake me for not understanding the overlay, cas I do.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even if he does hold Ax, Kx, Qx, or hell even AQ-AK; hero is still only a 60/40 dog, an the pot is laying him 2.4:1 odds. I take it. The only problems are with 55+, and better 5s and Js.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot worry about any specific hands obviously, I am just taking the anti ICM approach. I feel that ICM calcs ignore your steal ability on the next hand...taking every +EV opportunity is easy. If I had 8 tables going, Id call this. But if not, and I was paying attention, the answer is still, for me, "it depends".
Old 08-22-2005, 05:04 PM

pooh74=tool
Old 08-22-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pooh74=tool

[/ QUOTE ]

JS0085 is a bot. Besides his acid reflux, he's not human.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:50 PM

You are getting 1.8-1, so you should call if you think you are 36% or better to win. Even eliminating the worst 15% of hands for him, you are 41% to win and 5% to tie. You have to take him down to only playing the top 50% of hands before your equity goes down to 36%. Considering that he is in desperate straights (one more set of blinds is 2/3 of his stack), I'd say that at the least, he is playing 85% of hands.

Ironically, you say that if you lose and fold, your remaining ~1000 will leave you with no FE, but by folding, you give him FE with ~960.