Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 09-15-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Re: *everyone* has more bad beats / hour at UB than any other site

I think I have had the same amount of Suckouts against me and many as I have sucked out against my opponents. U just happen to remember the hands you lose more than the lucky ones you do win. I guess I must be lucky because I am a winning player at UB. Give me a break
Old 09-15-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Re: ok... anyone else find more bad beats at ULTIMATE BET than others

I haven't played much at UB, but I doubt that it is much different than Party, Stars, or Paradise etc.

The posters above all make good points but one that hasn't really been stressed is that with all the new players flocking to the on-line game over the past few months it would make sense that you notice more "bad beats". These newbies are going to the river with anything (thank god) so the possibility of them spiking something (2 pair, trips etc) is definitely there. A year ago you probably wouldn't see nearly as many people taking small pocket pairs to the river against bets and raises like these guys do.

I think you have to take the good with the bad. Be thankful that these new players are so loose and pay you off so often . . .and then just smile and shake you head when they win a pot that they had no business being in.

As someone said above : Variance is your friend. She's a bitch . . . . but she's your friend

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] busguy
Old 09-15-2004, 07:25 PM

I suspect that it is easier for us to remember bad beats instead of good ones because we get the "full story" with the bad beats, and oftentimes only half of it with a good beat.

What I mean is that with a bad beat you get to see both hands, however with a "good beat" you oftentimes don't see the opponents hand, and may not realize how lucky you got.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How come we never see the posts from the people that say UB (pick your site) is amazingly lucky for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

We actually do kinda get posts like this i think.

"I've been winning 15BB/100 at party in my last 4k hands. I know I've just been getting lucky and am running very hot but......"

But your general point is correct.
When most players win 10-15BB/100 they won that much because they are so much better players then everyone else.
When they lose it is bad-luck, bad-players, bad-site, excessively bad-beats, etc.

For whatever reason, I'm more criical of myself for some reason.
When I break-even or lose 1BB/100 over a week or so I'm extremely critical of my own pla and abilities.
If I win 2-4BB/100 over the course of a few weeks (month or longer) I feel like I've been getting incredibly lucky and have been hitting significantly more sets and catching good cards on the river far more often then I deserve.

I think it's a matter of self-perception.

Many fish think they are MUCH better than they really are. So when they don't win they are kind of confused because they just KNOW they are doing everything right.

Some winning players are more objective in their abilities OR even underestimate how good they are.

The psychology of 'I'm so good that I never deserve to go on a bad run' that many of your worst table-whiners and conspiracy theorists rant-on about is still very interesting to me.