Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 PM

Default How come this wasn\'t a split pot?

I was in a NL hand when 5 spades hit the board including the Ace. Thinking me and the other player both had Ace high flushes. The other player bet and then I go all in with no spades in my hand, but playing the board. The other player calls and wins the pot holding the queen of spades.

Why didn't we split with an Ace high flush on the board?

This was upsetting because I was in a stt with a good shot of winning and at least finishing in the money since the 4th place guy was barely hanging on with a couple of hundred chips.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: How come this wasn\'t a split pot?

He had the A-Q flush, you had the A-x flush. It is not simply the top card of the flush that determines it's value, but all 5 cards. Best five card hand, remember.

-Shaggy
Old 12-02-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I go all in with no spades in my hand, but playing the board.......with a good shot of winning and at least finishing in the money

[/ QUOTE ]

These are contradicting statements.

If two people have a flush, but both are under the high card of the flush (like in your example) it goes to the next card, a.k.a. the kicker (like the Q, in your example). It's no different than hitting a pair of aces w/ Ax but losing to AK due to "kicker".

cheers.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:24 PM

The best five card hand wins in hold em. If he had any spade higher than the lowest spade on the board then his five card flush was better than the flush on the board and he wins.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in a NL hand when 5 spades hit the board including the Ace. Thinking me and the other player both had Ace high flushes. The other player bet and then I go all in with no spades in my hand, but playing the board. The other player calls and wins the pot holding the queen of spades.

Why didn't we split with an Ace high flush on the board?

This was upsetting because I was in a stt with a good shot of winning and at least finishing in the money since the 4th place guy was barely hanging on with a couple of hundred chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you play and what is your screen name? <*)))><

Seriously, you need to learn the fundamental rules before you even think about advancing beyond play money. In any form of poker the rank of a flush is based on all 5 cards, not just the top card. This is also true for "nothing" (high card) hands. AQ973 beats AQ972. In holdem, a split pot with a flush is only possible if there is a flush on the board and neither player has a card of that suit higher than the smallest board card. In the hand in question, you were playing the board. The best you could hope for was a split, unless your opponent folded. If your opponent had any spade higher than the smallest card on the board, he had you beat. As it happened, he had the 2nd nut flush (The K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] being the nut flush).
Old 12-02-2005, 02:59 PM

Go easy on him, I think I was up several K online before I found that out. Of course, it was immediately obvious afterwards, but its a fairly rare situation.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Thanks for the replies guys

I feel smarter already [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of the actual Hold'em rules, your all-in move didn't make any sense.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:02 PM

He had a higher flush than you. His Qs replced one of the spades on the board. You were playing the board. He wasn't. Learn the rules of the game.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of the actual Hold'em rules, your all-in move didn't make any sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

false

if the board was 2222A in hold 'em you'd go all in

if the board has the nuts you may as well stab at it