Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Value of Ax in NL?

I am mainly a Limit play that plays NL occasionally, I've done pretty well with it, but I'm having some trouble tyring to figure out the value of Ax suited in NL. When you flop the nut draw do you put your chips in? Do you avoid playing these hands? Finally what else are the stack takers besides sets?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Value of Ax in NL?

I don't traditionally play A-xs from EP, and will always fold to a raise.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:36 AM

What about from MP or LP with no raises?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:38 AM

Sometimes, but the game conditions have to be just right.

One of the biggest mistakes limit players make in their transition to NL is to overvalue Axs.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:56 AM

the thing with flush draws in no limit is that they are too obvious. In my experience the majority of the money you will make will be the bets you call to get your flush . ONce there is 3 of a suit on the board, the aggressor will usually check to you and if you bet big he will usually assume you have it, so the implied odds are not too great drawing to it cause once you hit it and make a big bet it will be obvious and they will many times fold. Sometimes it makes for a good bluffing opportunity if you are drawing to something else though besides a flush and 3 of a suit come on the board, because the bettor will have to realize that you are on some kind of draw and it will be hard for him to call an oversize bet with the 3 of the same suit on the board.(dont try this with multiple people in the pot) As for your question about ace-x suited i would play these hands in late position or the button(also small blind) in an unraised pot-
A2 A3 A4 A5 A10 in mid position unraised and of course you can play AK AQ any position however be wary if the pot has been raised playing AQ or AJ because someone may have ace king and you will be dominated. The reason i wouldnt play Ace 6 thru 9 is because you cannot make any straights with these hands and they will just give you kicker trouble if you hit an ace and not your flush draw. So you will have the opportunity to hit a straight as well as a flush. I like to play straight draws more than flush draws because they are more deceptive and not as obvious, but i will draw to flushes if im getting a good drawing price in relation to the size of the pot.