Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 PM

Default notre dame-racial issues & their future

lately, it seems everytime i turn on ESPN they are playing the race card and here it is again. charlie weiss gets a 10 year extension and its b/c he is white (as opposed to ty willingham being black).

ty was 7-0 and to weiss' 5-2 at this point in his first season but had played a softer schedule (two less top 25 teams) but i don't see this as the arguement. the arguement lies in recruiting and rebuilding ND into the tradition and program it once was when it had holtz as a mainstay instead of the revolving door of coaches.

weiss' agent also represents the andy reid's of the nfl and when the extension was offered it struck me as what they were doing was locking him in for recruiting purposes. they don't want minnesota viking head coach rumors circulating and "going back to the NFL" as an option scaring off possible recruits. now that he is locked in, they can build their program around him, a proven coach, a winner on all levels.

i am not a ND fan but i think that this program will be tough for a long time to come. any thoughts on these racial issues?

a little FYI: i think throwing around the race card with willingham is arbitrary, b/c he sure doesn't play it. a guy that works out at my gym (who happens to be black) went to school at ND (now in the NFL) and said that before the first practice he had them in the locker room and said, "first of all i want to get one thing straight, i do not allow niggers on my team, for those of us that are black well we act like black men...there is a difference. if you get anything from your time here its that you can never make excuses in life..."

P.S. i hope this comment doesn't get me in trouble since i am just the messenger and its just proof that this whole race issue needs to stop.