Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 03:01 PM

Default 99 on button. Hello all (first post :) )

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Any comments appreciated. Just got the feel that i played this badly. Was wondering if I should raise the flop. Usually I do but didn't like that the where all ready two callers. Was it ok to call the turn and river?

Am almost a total noob to poker. Just finnished SSH. Have also read TOP, WLLH and HEFAP, just to get some feel to where i am and where i want to go in my so far short poker carrier. Have decided to really try to get better. Been lurking around here for sometime and really enjoy reading all the great posts. Am Swedish btw if you start to wonder about my spelling and grama.

/Cheers
Old 10-18-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: 99 on button. Hello all (first post :) )

Welcome, keep on reading and playing. Contributing to existing posts with questions or answers (even if they are wrong) are also good ways to learn.

Its always tough to get used to adding aggression to your game, but this hand is begging for it.

Raise preflop.
Raise the flop.
Raise the turn.
Call the river.

Raising 99 PF takes some getting used to and needs to be followed up with a similarly aggressive postflop plan.. so for a beginner we'll accept the PF play and go from there.

You must raise this flop. You likely have the best hand and you can raise for value. You need to let them know you like your hand as well so you know how to respond if the board gets scarier. A raise may help you fold some of these players right there on the flop or on the turn when you follow through with a bet (it will likely be checked to you).
Old 10-18-2004, 03:17 PM

Welcome!

You've mastered hitting the call button. Now you have to discover another button on screen. It will be labeled "raise".

Pre-Flop: Raise.
Flop: Raise.
Turn: Raise.
River: Raise.

The flop, turn and river really aren't worth discussing because the hand would most likely play out very differently if you would have raised pre-flop.

But if you did raise pre-flop and SB called it cold and then lead the flop I would raise in this situation.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:23 PM

You'd raise the river when someone who's been calling all the way bets out when a flush card hits and the board pairs?

edit: board pairs twice?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:30 PM

Sorry, I just skimmed it.

I thought SB just bet out again. I didn't notice BB picked up the betting. So, no I wouldn't raise the river.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:45 PM

Thx for the fast replies [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Am trying to working to work on my aggresivity. But seem to fall back to check-calling mode now and then.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:46 PM

Welcome to the forums.

I concur with everyone else. Raise PF. The rest of the hand will play different as a result.

You either :

1) won the pot, but got at least 4 SB fewer than you should have, or
2) you lost to a draw that might have been incorrect to play if you had raised PF, and came out swinging on the flop.

You must be aggressive. Aggression gets value for your good hands, and protects your weak made hands, which is what this one is. Weak-tight play, as taught by WLLH, will prevent you from losing. But it will not make you a winner.

Was wondering if I should raise the flop.

I'll turn this question back to you. Why would you not raise the flop? What are you afraid of? This is not a rhetorical question. Can you explain what you were thinking?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Raise preflop.
Raise the flop.
Raise the turn.
Call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Btspider said.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:49 PM

I was thinking something like this:

Often when I have been in this "position" I have been closer to the bettor and have had callers behind me. So by raising I may have gotten some of them to fold. Now everyone will call anyways, and against 3 callers i didn't feel pocket pair was that strong. I also didn't feel my hand was strong enough to bet for value, which I think now was the wrong assumption. Because I should be ahead. So I thought I would just call and see what the turn would bring. Maybe I might get a flush or straight draw to my nines. I was ready to fold to a overcard.

I usually don't think this much before a play, but on this hand I for some reason did [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

It has not gone that well so far when I have been working on my aggression so at times I get a bit cowardly.

Thx for making me think about the play. The moore I think the moore I wonder why I didn't raise. I had two backdoor draws and a pocket over pair or what you could call it.

By the way what position is CO it's the one next to the button right? Been wondering that for some time [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 04:55 PM

so does everyone think that raising with 99 is right? even if youre (probably) not going to get anyone to fold? what positions call for a limp with 99? any?