Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 03:11 AM

Default First PLO post

I'm working on getting into PLO. I am trying to avoid tough decisions, which leads to very passive river play. I know this is not ideal. Basically, this is an interesting hand for me postflop, and I am interested in hearing people's thoughts on possible lines; but above all, the reasoning behind those lines.

Empire PLO400
Hero $341
Villain $483.80

Hero is on the button with 9d 7c 9h Th. Three limpers plus two blinds so five to the flop with $20 in the pot.

Flop: [ 7h, Tc, 8h ]

Villain bets [$10]. Two folds. Hero calls [$10]. One Fold.

Turn: [ 2h ] Villain checks. Hero checks.

River: [ 4c ] Villain bets [$5]. Hero calls [$5].
Old 07-27-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Re: First PLO post

I would normally fold that flop, but you could also consider putting a raise in. Rest of the streets you played fine.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:46 PM

Fold HU with a set and Flush Draw (albeit low)?

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold HU with a set and Flush Draw (albeit low)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh wait, there's a set there? No, you need glasses, man.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would normally fold that flop, but you could also consider putting a raise in. Rest of the streets you played fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just stupid. You have flopped two pair and an open ended straight flush draw with 34x the flop bet behind and you want to fold?!??!

Even if you're only going to put more money in the pot if you hit your straight flush you have an easy easy easy call.

However, the fact that you're holding the blockers and have plenty of outs if behind, I am raising this 95% of the time.

If you really consider folding this flop there is something about poker you do not understand.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:26 PM

This is a key point, because of the blockers I am raising this most of the time HU
Old 07-31-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you really consider folding this flop there is something about poker you do not understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm lacking that understanding. My instinctive reaction would be to fold on the flop. I don't like calling with non-nut draws, and here only two cards give me the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you're only going to put more money in the pot if you hit your straight flush you have an easy easy easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this an easy call because of implied odds? But - with the exception of 6h and Jh, what do you want to hit? If, on the turn, you fill up, or hit your flush or straight, and your opponent acts strong again, do you fold?

[ QUOTE ]
However, the fact that you're holding the blockers and have plenty of outs if behind, I am raising this 95% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are these blockers (you're talking about the two 9s?) the key point here? They reduce the likelihood that your opponent has the straight, so you raise to try to push him off whatever else he might have - anything that beats your hand at the moment or better draws? And if you get called (do you want a call if you raise?), then u have some outs, only you're not sure what?

And what if you raise and he reraises, which he almost certainly will if he has the nut straight? Is this still an easy call, even though there's not as much money left behind?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:40 PM

The funny thing is, if you raise the flop and get reraised, it makes it much more likely that he has a str8 which you can suck out to beat. It would be a marginal call but if you felt he wouldnt pass if you hit, one you could almost stretch to.

If you just call on the flop, that's fine too. Passing for this little action would just be insane. OK, very few of your outs are for the nuts, but you don't need the nuts to win. Just a better hand than your foe.

gl

DD
Old 07-31-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but you don't need the nuts to win. Just a better hand than your foe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say this and say this and say this, and no one seems to get it. . .
Old 07-31-2005, 02:10 PM

even if you improve, it's often to not much of a hand. still, I think it's too early to quit on the flop. I like calling and reassessing on the turn. when he checks the turn I bet half pot to take it from him. by the river, you don't have much to call with, but it's only 5 bucks so it's fine. I've found that in the lower party games (and 400 is only borderline in the group, I think), you can take a lot of pots by betting at them when there's no obvious evidence of big hands out there.